Hop Substitution Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mresa641

Reaction score
I was going through some hop profiles for my brew this week. I am making a scottish wee heavy. The recipe calls for Norther Brew hops and I have Centennial. The hops are only for a 60 min boil and the profile on How to Brew by Palmer show below:

Name:
Centennial
Profile: Spicy, floral, citrus aroma, often referred to as Super Cascade because of the similarity; A clean bittering hop.
Usage:General purpose bittering, aroma, some dry hopping
Example: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale

AA Range:9 - 11.5%

Name:

Northern Brewer
Profile: Hallertauer NB has a fine, fragrant aroma; Dry, clean bittering hop
Usage: Bittering and finishing for a wide variety of beers
Example: Old Peculiar (bittering), Anchor Liberty (bittering), Anchor Steam (bittering, flavoring, aroma)
AA Range: 7 - 10%

They both say clean bittering hop...So my big questions is if I'm using a hop for bittering (NB or Centennial) does it matter since aroma and flavor don't last the 60 min boil?

Considering how few hops go into a wee heavy in the first place, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would not use such an unmistakable American hop in that beer. BUT, I like to enter competitions. If you are not than just brew with the centennial.

Back