Hop Oil & Cleaning Difficulties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessup

Reaction score
Any idea how to clean hop oils off stainless steel? I've been using CO2 hop extracts lately and wow has it brought the aroma to the next level. However hop oil is a real PITA to clean off equipment. It turns the plastic abrasive brushes green and gooey, and my last batch has proven to be a real nightmare. I add the hop oil at a rolling boil for the 60 minutes in order to keep it from sticking to the pot but that didn't exactly work out so well.

Here are some photos of what I'm dealing with. I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean this gooey junk off. I sure hops it hasn't congealed in my plate chiller!!
13095937_10100470754900660_1600046817632071302_n.jpg

13083119_10100470754895670_7240950336903583198_n.jpg

13094247_10100470754905650_7197865410221371630_n.jpg

1st photo is the hop oil close up on the SS brewpot. 2nd photo is zoomed out to show the quantity stuck; this is the most concentrated area. 3rd photo is after scrubbing after it spread around in a think sticky area. Elbow grease does not work so maybe TSP is needed? I'm soaking in baking soda now but doubt that's going to work. Suggestions anyone?!

Any idea how to clean hop oils off stainless steel? I've been using CO2 hop extracts lately and wow has it brought the aroma to the next level. However hop oil is a real PITA to clean off equipment. It turns the plastic abrasive brushes green and gooey, and my last batch has proven to be a real nightmare. I add the hop oil at a rolling boil for the 60 minutes in order to keep it from sticking to the pot but that didn't exactly work out so well.

Here are some photos of what I'm dealing with. I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean this gooey junk off. I sure hops it hasn't congealed in my plate chiller!!
13095937_10100470754900660_1600046817632071302_n.jpg

13083119_10100470754895670_7240950336903583198_n.jpg

13094247_10100470754905650_7197865410221371630_n.jpg

1st photo is the hop oil close up on the SS brewpot. 2nd photo is zoomed out to show the quantity stuck; this is the most concentrated area. 3rd photo is after scrubbing after it spread around in a think sticky area. Elbow grease does not work so maybe TSP is needed? I'm soaking in baking soda now but doubt that's going to work. Suggestions anyone?!

what about a "greenie weenie" scrub down with a degresser soap like dawn dish soap, then a soak in some PBW?

I can't see the pictures, but if you're having trouble cleaning stainless equipment, I recommend Barkeepers Friend Stainless steel cleaner. I've found that stuff takes off virtually anything from stainless steel and makes it look brand new again.

I can't see the pictures, but if you're having trouble cleaning stainless equipment, I recommend Barkeepers Friend Stainless steel cleaner. I've found that stuff takes off virtually anything from stainless steel and makes it look brand new again.

Bar keepers friend is my friend too, but if you could see the pix you'd realize thats not gonna cut it. I might have to use a razor to get the oil/gel off then go to phase 2. Barkeepers friend might be phase 3. Thanks for the input though I appreciate all thoughts!

isopropanol 95% or better. Will work better if you put the bottle in a warm water bath first. Also might help to warm up the surface you are cleaning with a heat lamp or hair dryer.

Maybe try steam or alcohol to dissolve the oil before wiping clean. Probably have to use a very damp alcohol towel and let it sit for a while or create some sort of tape dam and pour it over the space. I pre-dissolve extract and oil with boiling wort in a cup before adding it to the main boil to allow it to dissolve completely and not create this issue.

I think I will try to scrape off the oil with a razor and reuse it!!

Isopropyl alcohol. Check. Heating will definitely be a good idea considering it's only "liquidy" and workable at warm temperatures. Degreaser did nothing.

I will try to dissolve in boiling wort first next time instead of just going gung-ho with almost 100 mL's at one shot. 200 IBU's @6.6% here we come :) This stuff is a total ***** to work with, but man, it's aroma for days.....

Next thread: how to spray boiling water without a hotsy?

Hop oil you have met your match. Baking Soda!! I soaked the pot overnight in baking soda and the former sticky goo came off with a simple touch of my hand. Kablammo! Quite amazing actually!! Thanks for playing folks and cheers :)

I use hop oil for my Pliney brews and some others as a bittering charge, and all I use to clean is some hot PBW or Oxyclean and green scotch brite pad. I recirc the water through the BK with the electric coil on to heat up the PBW/ or Oxy solution and gently scrub the walls. After it looks good, I spray it down with some water and good as new. My first endeavor was a PITA though

Those pictures make me wonder what the actual utilization is for that stuff...

Cheers!

I hear ya. I constantly scrape the sides during the first 15 min or so to keep it in solution. Ive had great results with it though. 20$ for 20 or so 10mL hopshots is a steal

I hear ya. I constantly scrape the sides during the first 15 min or so to keep it in solution. Ive had great results with it though. 20$ for 20 or so 10mL hopshots is a steal

Good call scraping sides of brewpot. This is 3rd time i've used it & def great results with final product! Not sure why it accumulated halfway down the side of the pot... defintely a lot of loss too.

Citrus based cleaner. We use versions of it in the asphalt industry to clean oil off of various things. Unless you can/want to get a hold of trichloroethylene I'd go with that.

Hop oil you have met your match. Baking Soda!! I soaked the pot overnight in baking soda and the former sticky goo came off with a simple touch of my hand. Kablammo! Quite amazing actually!! Thanks for playing folks and cheers :)

Did you do a baking soda and water soak, or some other liquid? What was the ratio of baking soda to water (or liquid)?

I'm looking at using extracts and would love to have a cleaning method chambered and ready should this sort of complication come up.

Thanks! :mug:

I did about .5 oz baking soda per gallon water & soaked overnight. Worked beautifully! Worked so well I might consider baking soda for soaking caked up fermentors. Cant beat the price!

Fwiw PBW & citrus degreazer did not help clean the hop oil. Only baking soda so far.

Latest posts

Back