Hop Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
Ive had a lb each of mosaic, citra and golden nugget sealed in original package in my freezer for about 15 months. Are they still good??

Sealed, in a freezer, sure.

Why has it taken so long to use them? I woulda burned through that M and C quick

It really depends on the packaging. Vacuum sealed? If so they are good. Especially if from a vendor that nitrogen flushes the bags.

They will have degraded some but I have a lot that are older than that and they still seem good. I use just a touch more when I weigh them out.

Sealed, in a freezer, sure.

Why has it taken so long to use them? I woulda burned through that M and C quick

Had super high expectations when I first started brewing and things slowed down on brewing side because of work, life, kids, wife, life, kids, wife, kids and 1,000 other hobbies haha did I mention wife? Things have finally slowed down and have come to a some what controllable pace for me to brew. Super stoked to have all three hop varieties to brew up.

It really depends on the packaging. Vacuum sealed? If so they are good. Especially if from a vendor that nitrogen flushes the bags.

They will have degraded some but I have a lot that are older than that and they still seem good. I use just a touch more when I weigh them out.

Two of three bags are vendor sealed, one is vacuum sealed from another member that broke up a larger volume of hops into 1lb bags. Pellets look good thought

Two of three bags are vendor sealed, one is vacuum sealed from another member that broke up a larger volume of hops into 1lb bags. Pellets look good thought

They might lose some potency over time. Remember they will still have a lot of 2016 hops to sell when the 2017 crop comes on the market.

If they go bad they will probably smell stale.

Had super high expectations when I first started brewing and things slowed down on brewing side because of work, life, kids, wife, life, kids, wife, kids and 1,000 other hobbies haha did I mention wife? Things have finally slowed down and have come to a some what controllable pace for me to brew. Super stoked to have all three hop varieties to brew up.

Hahaha, I hear ya. That's why I brew once, if I am lucky twice a month. And dough in at 4AM and wrapped up before the kid and wife wake up. Good luck with those hops:mug:

Latest posts

Back