Hop addition suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gvan84

Reaction score
Hey all, im going to be brewing a 5 gallon batch tomorrow, 10lbs pale, .75lb crystal30, i also have 3/4lb or caramunich i may or may no use. I have 3 oz chinook and 2 oz amarillo on hand. Doing a 1 hour mash BIAB and a 1 hour boil. Any suggestions on hop additions for a mid range ibu brew would be great!

Hey all, im going to be brewing a 5 gallon batch tomorrow, 10lbs pale, .75lb crystal30, i also have 3/4lb or caramunich i may or may no use. I have 3 oz chinook and 2 oz amarillo on hand. Doing a 1 hour mash BIAB and a 1 hour boil. Any suggestions on hop additions for a mid range ibu brew would be great!

It would be helpful to know the actual alpha acid percentage of the hops, but I would probably use the Chinook for bittering and leave the amarillo for late or dryhopping. I think some amount of Chinook can be used late too, but I would be looking for the amarillo to shine.

Leave the caramunich out of it.
1/2oz of chinook for bittering (60 minute boil; save the rest of the chinook for another brew).
2oz of amarillo for 20 minute hopstand/whirlpool.
I'm not a fan of chinook late in the boil, but I've also never had a nice, fresh packet of it.

Northern Brewer has a recipe for a Chinook IPA. It is all Chinook and is very good.

Either of the two schedules mentioned would be good. I would probably have done as the OP did just to make the day easier, and get it done sooner than waiting for a whirlpool addition. Though I have done quite a few whirlpool additions.

Leave the caramunich out of it.
1/2oz of chinook for bittering (60 minute boil; save the rest of the chinook for another brew).
2oz of amarillo for 20 minute hopstand/whirlpool.
I'm not a fan of chinook late in the boil, but I've also never had a nice, fresh packet of it.

My first thought when reading the post was to leave the caramunich out, we think alike. At least when sober. Which isn't often.

Back