HomebrewTalk saves another one !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatCat11cz

Reaction score
I decided to invest in a R.I.M.S. set-up for my 15gal 3 vessel brew stand.

Looked at some options, and decided they were too expensive or I lacked the technical/electrical know-how and confidence. I eventually found myself on Amazon looking at a pre-assembled kit from Brew-Control. I didn't really like the rims tube, I liked the bling of the Brewers Hardware version (cool sightglass and all ), but i did like the simplicity of the controller. It had all the right stuff. 15a , GFCI corded , small, and inexpensive, compared to other complete units on the market.

I placed my order along with a 1650w ULWD stainless element, a new HP burner for my rig, a Monster Mill MM3 with hopper and base. I ordered all this 2am Thursday morning. The MM3 came from Midwest Supplies, it arrived on wed. I got the burner and element from Amazon, and it came tuesday. The controller had not even had a shipping label printed on Wed night.

Now amazon listed the delivery date as being Nov 27th - dec 2nd. And with the holiday, I thought it more likely I would get it early next week, Monday or Tuesday... I had emailed the company to ask for the PDF manual to be sent to me. A guy named tom replied an hour later and had sent me the manual in an e-mail. cool. I was excited at such a fast response. Especially as it was 9pm on a friday night.

A few days passed, and on tuesday, the status had not updated, so I emailed tom, to see if there was a delay. I wanted to know if I might get it by friday. No response....wed....no response. I figured he was with family on thursdsay. Checked on friday to see that the status had not updated. No label created. HMMM. E-mailed again no response.... Today the 27th was an expected delivery date. If I didn't get it today, surely it was in the mail already to make the Dec 2nd date. E-mailed again. No response...

I came to the forum to ask if anyone had purchase a controller from this company. When I did some forum searching....Aha...a post led me to the BBB. There it all made sense. I immediately cancelled my order, and demanded my money back. Since the order had not shipped, I was not charged.

Wanna know the kicker ?.....Tom emailed me less than an hour later to say he was sorry...family issues or something like that. Man! What a fast response. Probably took all of 2mins to respond to me. Couldn't do that when I was asking where my 300.00 controller was, huh ?

Anyway, I went to aubrins and bought an enclosure, timer, PID, and Probe. Then went to eBrewSupply, and bought the Rims DIY kit. Except for the shipping, it cost about the same as I was gonna pay Tom. I know I can build this with help from the forum and the guys at e-brewsupply.

Thanks so much for listening, and watch out for the scams.. Lesson learned.;)

I believe Amazon is usually pretty good about the integrity of their sellers. I'd contact customer support. Maybe someone else has too and it's enough to get him off of there. Although it seems he does this kind of thing a bunch and keeps operating under different names from what posts I've seen. I wonder how often he scams versus actually provides. Some people seem to luck out...

I believe Amazon is usually pretty good about the integrity of their sellers. I'd contact customer support. Maybe someone else has too and it's enough to get him off of there. Although it seems he does this kind of thing a bunch and keeps operating under different names from what posts I've seen. I wonder how often he scams versus actually provides. Some people seem to luck out...

Yet he keeps the name Tom. :drunk:

maybe i would have lucked out...but it just seemed strange, to receive no response for 6days, then when i pull my money he's Johnny on the spot... Sets off all kinds of red flags.

That being said, Brewers Hardware says they sent my package on tuesday, priority 2 day. I know USPS sucks, but I had other stuff arrive on time via USPS this week, complete with tracking info. I have not had a tracking info update since the ticket was created monday. BH just says it was picked up tuesday and that maybe they forgot to scan the package into their system. surely it would eventually get scanned as it passed through various routing and distribution centers ? Right ?

FatCat11cz - my recent Brew-Control experience was almost identical to yours. I also cancelled my order. I want to leave feedback on Amazon, but I don't think I can now that my order has been cancelled.

FatCat11cz - my recent Brew-Control experience was almost identical to yours. I also cancelled my order. I want to leave feedback on Amazon, but I don't think I can now that my order has been cancelled.

Yes, you can.

Back