Homebrew Brewery Name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I gotta come up with a cool name for my "brewery". I have plenty of possibilities float through my head, but how do I decide to go with one of them?? I can't make a decision!

I thought about maybe using part of my HBT handle. Maybe call it: Homer'sBrew, or something like that.

Also our town uses the term "Crossroads" for things. I thought about doing Crossroads Brewing Company, or Xroads or something like that.

Or just some funny name maybe with some innuendo or something.

Nothing awesome just jumps out at me though.

So a technique we use to use for coming up with art composition ideas back in the day, I've found works for anything brainstorming/creative. The idea was to do 10 sketches of ideas for what you were doing, then narrow down to 4-5 and resketch the ones that still seemed interesting to you.

Same idea could be applied here - do thought bubbles or a 1-10 list(at least 10). Once you've come up with your 10 ideas, narrow down to about 4-5 of your favorites(maybe also verify any you like aren't taken) - usually the process of doing this will help you start narrowing down to a solid idea. Maybe brainstorm what your might use as your logo/icon - this might help you also come up with a name.

Probably old slang from nearby Manistee - but how about Fudgie-Fighter Brewin'?

Here's what you do: take whatever names you have, assign numbers to them. Let's assume you have five--so label them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Go to a random number generator online. Ask for a random number from 1-5. When it gives you that, see what name it has picked for you.

Are you satisfied with the choice? If not, it's not quite the one for you. So, repeat the exercise, asking again for a random number from 1-5. If it's the same as the first choice, just repeat until you get another number corresponding to the remaining four.

Repeat--are you satisfied? If not quite, it means one of the remaining three are better names, that is, in your heart of hearts the first two are not "it."

This method removes the decision from your conscious mind and allows your subconscious (your "gut" if you will) to see if you're satisfied.

Homer is the author of the Iliad and the Odyssey. Perhaps "Iliad and Odyssey Brewing"? Or just "Odyssey Brewing?"

I started with 'Barking Spider Brewing' for my first name. It was the name of my fantasy football team.

Now I use 'RockRidge Brewing' cause I love Mel Brooks and Blazing Saddles.

I recommend the first two or three things/items you see laying around like Chestnut Hutch brewery, Red Oak Tread Brewing Company, Picture Frame Brewing Co., Ivory Clock Brewery, Staircase Brewing Co, Crooked Pinetree Brew, Rotten Shrub Brewing Co.

Actual examples:
Dog Fish Head
Bad Tattoo brew
Blue Hill brew
Boston Beer
Bridge Port brew
Cascade Lake brew
Dark Horse brew
Flying Dog brew
Green Leaf Brew
Hamburger Mary Brew
Lumberyard Brew
Magic Hat Brew
Mill Street Brew
Otter Creek Brew
Pipe Works Brew
Rock Art
Sea Dog Brew
Steam Whistle
Thirsty Dog
Tired Hands Brew
Trout River Brew
Tractor Brew
Two Brothers Brew
Upslope Brew
Victory Brew
White Marsh Brew
Wild Rose Brew
Yards Brew
Yellow Dog Brew

Imma go back to drinking now... later! :tank:

Okay this is crazy. Used to go to Reed City (ish) for work every year! Sorry, just such a small world!! I was devastated when I heard that Wright's closed up shop. At least Per Marquette is still there!

I would suggest using the bulldog (Go Ferris State!) or crossroads as a brew name. (Bulldog Porter? Crossroads Pale Ale?) Maybe riff on the Michigan theme for a brewery name like Hersey River Brewing or something similar?

I usually go the sentimental/personal route. Funny inside jokes, nicknames growing up, people who inspire you, pets you had, your favorite locations, heirlooms you own, song lyrics or favorite novel passages. Hope that helps...

1) Make it personal. Something to do with your life, a nickname, a landmark event, place, or personality attribute.

2) It doesn't have to make sense to anybody else in the world. And you don't actually need to explain it to anybody. Ever.

If it means something to you and it has a kind of cool ring to it, then it is a good name.

My brewery name means a lot to me, but there is a short and boring story behind it's origin. If I explained it to anybody, it would lose some coolness and mystery. But I like it and it is vague-ish enough to let anybody project their own meaning on it.

Basically, if it means something to you and it is at least somewhat cool sounding, you are in good shape. If people like your beer, they will like the name you give it.

Having a direct translation of Homer's Odyssey, I should've thought of that one myself. I named mine after my Late father's CB handle, White Cougar. Something like that would surely give it more meaning. So I agree with signpost...up ahead...the twilight zone...;)

I making the assumption that your HBT handle is a Simpson's reference, if not please disregard my suggestion:

Homersexual Brewing Inc.

With a brewery name like that you beers will name themselves:

Skinner's Summertime Stout - low gravity session stout (picture of Skinner on the label with the caption "Possibly Homersexual")
Nelson's HA-HA! Hefeweizen
Bart's Eat My Shorts Saison

and so on...

signpost suggested going with something personal. I went with Kevy Joe Brewing Inc. (I just like slapping Inc. on the end of brewery names, sue me!).

Kevy Joe was a nickname my aunt gave me when I was a baby. She died when I was 10. In school I was Kevin up until grade 7 or 8 when one of my classmates heard an older kid who knew me calling me Kevy Joe. Guess what everyone called me after that.

Tell me about the Dog Biting the Hockey stick image?

Is there a name in there somewhere?

That's the Ferris State University Bulldog Hockey logo. Sadly, the athletic department retired the logo with the bulldog biting the hockey stick and now the hockey program uses the generic one without the hockey stick.

That's the Ferris State University Bulldog Hockey logo. Sadly, the athletic department retired the logo with the bulldog biting the hockey stick and now the hockey program uses the generic one without the hockey stick.

Ferris Bruedog's Day Off Brewing Co.

Tah-dah, and you're welcome.

Massage brewery Think about it, A Blonde massage or a amber massage Or a Stout massage? Sorry I am just a Dirty old Man. lol:mug:

Blind Lycurgus Brewing? (google it... :D )

--Seems to be a theme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycurgus_Cup

435px-Brit_Mus_13sept10_brooches_etc_046.jpg

Dogfish Head got in on the theme:
https://martintcahill.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/if-books-were-beer-the-iliad-the-odyssey/

I like the Sensual Massage name. I could use that for a beer name. Maybe if I ever brew that Lilac Kolsch I have planned...

Lilac Kolsch? I am starting to lean toward the very first brewery name suggestion.

"Keep at it"

eventually you'll learn how to make beer instead of malted aromatherapy splashes.

:D

Before settling on one, make sure the domain name is available. It literally took me 20 years to secure viciousfishes.com

What is the street name you live on? There is a Brewery here in NY called Captain Lawrence, the owner used to live on a street called Captain Lawrence, sometimes simpler is better....

Back