Home smoked Rye Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starman

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with DIY smoking rye malt? Im curious if the lack of husk will make a less potent smoke flavor compared to an equal quantity of barley.

Doing preliminary recipe research it looks like most smoked rye grain bills use smoked barley and not rye. Smoked rye doesnt seem to be commercially available, i just hope its not because it tastes like melted car tire.

If you have tried it... whatd you smoke it over? My buddy with the smoker has apple, cherry, hickory, and jack barrel chips for options.

Thanks

I have a white-trash cold smoker I made by clamping a dryer exhaust pipe onto the chimney of my grill to a box I made of out of xmas popcorn tins. Again, white-trash. ince the rye was about 40% of my grain bill; I did it this way to preserve the diastatic power. I used pecan logs to smoke it, wish I remembered for how long. There's some smokiness, but nothing about the beer screams pecan to me, although I'm no expert in such things.

I don't think that husk vs no husk makes much difference. Whatever part of the grain absorbs the smoke, you'll be soaking it it in water to extract the smoke anyway. Just remember that the smokiness will fade from both grain & beer over time. I wish mine was fresher.

Latest posts

Back