Roast 'em, Toast 'em, Smoke 'em If you Got 'em

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to post my latest rauchbier.... It's Pecan Smoked Alt.

Two is better than one...
IMG_20190403_201150.jpeg
IMG_20190328_213643.jpeg

FYI

Single infusion mash 60 minutes.

5lbs pale malt
5lbs pecan smoked pale malt.
1/2 lb slow roasted pale malt.

2 oz Mt Hood @60 minutes.

Pitching S-05. Using normal fermentation temp of 65F.

This beer is spunded at 20psi at 64F.

Spunding is a cool and fast way to carb your beer. I started the spund on the 4th day after pitching. It finished up in the keg.

That's why you get a killer head. It's so dense and stays that was all the way down the glass. Short of sucking the foam.

Last edited:
Your post inspired me to draw up a glass of my rauchbier Eiche clone. I agree that it tastes a lot like smoked ham.

I still have about 8 pounds of oak smoke malt to use. My next adventure may include smoking malt with mesquite. I have acres and acres of mesquite and oak that I can cut, so those will probably be the two I stick with the most.
Have you done anything with your mesquite yet?

What about the rest of your oak rauch malt?

Yum!!! Looks tasty.

I assume you smoked the wheat malt. Lublin Hopped?

No, Weyermann[emoji768] Oak Smoked Wheat Malt is what I use. (It would take me forever to smoke 12 lbs of Pale Wheat Malt)

No, Lublin is too tough to find locally. I developed my recipe using Saaz, Pearl, and a little Brewer’s Gold (modernize the style a little)

That beer won me a Gold (44/50) in an AHA/BJCP Sanctioned Competition.

No, Weyermann[emoji768] Oak Smoked Wheat Malt is what I use. (It would take me forever to smoke 12 lbs of Pale Wheat Malt)

No, Lublin is too tough to find locally. I developed my recipe using Saaz, Pearl, and a little Brewer’s Gold (modernize the style a little)

That beer won me a Gold (44/50) in an AHA/BJCP Sanctioned Competition.
Very cool.

Smoking malt is easy... 15 minutes to wet and fill screen trays, 2 hours for smoking, 2 days drying. Then a week or two to age. I can do six lbs with three trays. So, 12 lbs would take about 4 days, and 2-3 weeks.

Lot of it waiting, the soaking, smoking, the drying, and aging.

Last edited:
This is mine from last spring. Grätzer/Growdziskie

I used half Pilsner and Wheat, both oak smoked, and hopped with Saaz.

With fresh Polish Sausage on the smoker...

[emoji482] View attachment 620849View attachment 620850View attachment 620851

Our color and foam look very similar. For your consideration...substitute a pound of your Pilsner malt for a pound of Mesquite Smoked Malt. The Mesquite really adds a little punch to your head aroma, but doesn’t even come close to overtaking the oak on flavor.

I’m smoking some Baby Backs Tomorrow...I’ll make sure to post some Food and Beer Pr0n!

Our color and foam look very similar. For your consideration...substitute a pound of your Pilsner malt for a pound of Mesquite Smoked Malt. The Mesquite really adds a little punch to your head aroma, but doesn’t even come close to overtaking the oak on flavor.

I’m smoking some Baby Backs Tomorrow...I’ll make sure to post some Food and Beer Pr0n!
Awesome. That's a good tip!

For those of you who have oak smoked malt at home, what is your perception of the beer made from oak smoked malt? I made one with 3# pilsner and 3# wheat oak smoked, and had to dump it. The oak smoke aroma was great, but ill be damned if the beer didn't taste like I had aged it in a virgin oak barrel for a month prior to kegging. Barrel aged flavor is not what I am looking for in a 3% wheat beer....

For those of you who have oak smoked malt at home, what is your perception of the beer made from oak smoked malt? I made one with 3# pilsner and 3# wheat oak smoked, and had to dump it. The oak smoke aroma was great, but ill be damned if the beer didn't taste like I had aged it in a virgin oak barrel for a month prior to kegging. Barrel aged flavor is not what I am looking for in a 3% wheat beer....
Mine was all hammy. No oak like wood flavor you describe.

Truth be told, I've never had a beer that I dumped in 14 years. I've had a few that were pretty close. I just let time and the yeast mellow things out, while they weren't great, they weren't a chore to drink them either.

Mine was all hammy. No oak like wood flavor you describe.

Truth be told, I've never had a beer that I dumped in 14 years. I've had a few that were pretty close. I just let time and the yeast mellow things out, while they weren't great, they weren't a chore to drink them either.

Yeah, it was strange, like it honestly tasted like I aged it on oak. I have no idea how that happened.

I dump beer occasionally. If something doesn't turn out exactly how I want it to within the time frame I want it to, I am more than happy to be rid of it, rather than drink something that isn't what I was targeting.

Dude, I wanted to go their when I was in Plymouth. It's too far to drink like we do and drive. Uber would have been pricy.

Yeah, it's a hike from Plymouth, almost on the opposite end of the metro.

PM me next time you're going to be up this way. I'll take you over there. HH is special, nothing like it anywhere.

Yeah, it's a hike from Plymouth, almost on the opposite end of the metro.

PM me next time you're going to be up this way. I'll take you over there. HH is special, nothing like it anywhere.
Awesome! You can count on that. I get up there about every other year to visit a friend.

Start of july gonna be buying a bullet brew 45/ brewmonk magnus/equivalent, first batch I'm gonna brew is a massive rauchbier, might as well put the thing through it's paces from step one and teach it it's place. Gonna be using commercially smoked malts though, probly Viking Malt as the... maltery? is about 20km from where I live, though AFAIK the smoked malts come from their plant in Poland...

Start of july gonna be buying a bullet brew 45/ brewmonk magnus/equivalent, first batch I'm gonna brew is a massive rauchbier, might as well put the thing through it's paces from step one and teach it it's place. Gonna be using commercially smoked malts though, probly Viking Malt as the... maltery? is about 20km from where I live, though AFAIK the smoked malts come from their plant in Poland...
What kind of smoke?

You looking to do a weizenbock maybe?

Haven't decided yet, I liked the the I did before which was just viking malt rauchmalt (think it's beech smoked) and mt.hood hops but TBH it was a little thin both taste and body wise so might wanna slip in a little something to make it a bit more robust.

Haven't decided yet, I liked the the I did before which was just viking malt rauchmalt (think it's beech smoked) and mt.hood hops but TBH it was a little thin both taste and body wise so might wanna slip in a little something to make it a bit more robust.
You can mash higher say something like 158F or 70C. This will create more mouth feel. I think adding a little Special B could work too. That's the taste I get out of Adventus.

@Schlenkerla what's your experience with mesquite smoked malt? I tried a few at the brew store today, and was impressed. How does it translate into beer? I might pick up some chips and give it a try

Back