Home Grow Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makingitgood

Reaction score
ok i started a home grown malt. with home grown barly .... do you think its readdy to dry? its only been in the bag for a day. it says its supost to be in there 4-5... so i am not sure, how big is it suppost to be? is it readdy to dry

100_1642copy.jpg

100_1645copyreal.jpg

The ascrospire should be about 2/3 the length of the grain to be fully modified. I have temperature and times for different malts you would like to make. If you got one in mind or if you want all of them let me know and i will give it to you.

makingitgood said:
U dont have to typ em all out.... if its gonna take a hour

nope here it is

toasted malt- roast the dry, kilned malt at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 min until it is golden and aromatic

Munich- roast dry, kilned malt at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly toasted

Crystal- start with malt that is wet or green ( pale barley malt that has been soaked for 24 hours in cold water can be substituted for homemade malt). Kiln at the lowest setting until it is nearly dry. Raise the oven temp to 200 degrees and roast for 1 hour. Then raise the oven temp to 350 degrees and roast until the malt is dry and a golden brown color. This should take about 1 and a 1/2 to 2 hours.

Vienna malt- Start with dry, kilned malt. Roast between 215 to 225 for 3 hours.

Roasted barley- start out with clean, dry, unmalted barley. Roast it at 400 degrees until it is a deep brown color, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Black patent- start with dry, finished malt. spread very thinly and roast at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. stir often to prevent burning. A certain amount of smoke in the kitchen is inevitable during this procedure.

toasted malt- roast the dry, kilned malt at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 min until it is golden and aromatic

Munich- roast dry, kilned malt at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly toasted

One of those , lol... should i do it in a frying pan? or a oven???????? i was gonna youse a oven...

You know, this making your own malt business sounds like fun. And if the TEOTWAWKI ever comes to pass, it would be a valuable skill to have as well. Have a hop patch and a source of barley and you could write your own ticket... lol

makingitgood.... you can use a cast iron frying pans, but put them IN the oven...

Makingitgood:
Most grains are dried for safer/mold free storage. I'll bet yours are fresh, and don't need to spend a couple days soakin to get moisture in to where things work.

I'll bet it sure smells sweeet... Now through a pillow sack full into the clothes dryer for drying.

makingitgood said:

One of those , lol... should i do it in a frying pan? or a oven???????? i was gonna youse a oven...

Frying pan with a little crisco and some emiril seasoning!!!

ok... Thanks.... i think they will be readdy 2 moro... the last bit took longer that i exspected. which hops should i youse... i only bought thease ones.
hops2copy.jpg

hops1.jpg

makingitgood said:
hey are there any calculators for calculating how much % there is in your beer?

give me the exact recipe and i will calculate how much you need

LOL thats what i need it for.... i am going to try something... just make it how i want it.

makingitgood said:
... which hops should i youse...

It depends on what you plan to brew.

Saaz are wonderful! They are mild, pleasant and generally used in a lot of German lagers and Pilsners. They have a low alpha acid content (low bitterness-think of any mild German lager or mild ale you like) I believe Sam Adams Boston Lager uses Saaz.

Cascades can have a flowery, spicy and/or citrusy flavor. Sometimes they can add a 'grapefruit' or even 'grassy' flavor. They are used in a lot of American Ales and 'American-style' India Pale Ales. They have a higher alpha acid content (think something along the lines of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale).

But the great thing about homebrewing: you can do whatever the hell you want!;)

Put it in a pillow case, tie it in a knot, toss it into a clothes dryer. Leave plenty of room in case. Use a couple pillow cases, so as not to make to big of a thump. Do it when SWMBO is not home.

I've heard of back woods brewer's that buy a sack of barley, drop the whole bag on the driveway in the sun, and hit it with the garden hose. Roll it and spray it a couple times a day. Wah-La, instant malt. Do you think feed store barley would suffice? Fed store price?

casebrew said:
Put it in a pillow case, tie it in a knot, toss it into a clothes dryer. Leave plenty of room in case. Use a couple pillow cases, so as not to make to big of a thump. Do it when SWMBO is not home.

this is a good tip, but grain was traditionally dried in boxes that had screens on the top and bottom. They were then stacked about 7 high, and vented at the top. Air was forced through the bottom until the grains were dried, but for people who dont have that kind of setep up, clothes dryer will work just fine. Throw in a fabric softener sheet if you want your grains to smell like a summer breeze. Just kidding on the fabric softener sheet. Dont do it

lol i should.... i made a batch with wet grans, i just just mashed em. think it will work?, tast like beer?...

makingitgood said:
lol i should.... i made a batch with wet grans, i just just mashed em. think it will work?, tast like beer?...

it will work. The grains are dried for storage puposes. Cant store wet grains because the ascrospire would just eat up all the available starches in the grain making your grain worthless. Might not have that real malty flavor that you get from dried 2 or 6 row, but it will work. Might be the color of mexican water or a light lemonade.

oh ok... i added some syrup... so it looks beer colored.... ok i think this is what i put in it.... lol
2-2.5gal water,
2 pounds of sugar
2.5 pounds of malt 2 row canadian barly
14G or cascade hops
6G of saaz hops
2-3 table spoons syrup, the stuff 4 pancakes
3 table spoons of malasas
and 1.5 table spoons yeast.

so what u think it will make....

Oh, you will make beer allright. But ingredients do matter to the taste of the beer. Thats why they sell dozens of different yeasts, dozens of different malts, dozens of different adjuncts. And make thousands of different brews. If you don't like this batch, try a mail order AG kit - with instructuions? Buy a book? Nothing wrong with being self taught, I am, in a couple different fields, Here's one: http://www.casebrosfurnituremakers.com/index.html

makingitgood said:
i think it stoped.. why do you guys think...?

I think your going to have a problem with fermentation unless you use a alcohol tolerant yeast, one that can handle allot of sugars from the start. I did the math on your beer and the alcohol without the mollasses and syrup is 6.2.

Give it a week at least. Fermentation takes time.

I'm tempted to try growing some Maris Otter here, but I think the elk would eat it!

sorry... it was a bad air leak... ok i put all the grains in with the beer so should i do a secondary with out grains?

i put all the grains in with the beer so should i do a secondary with out grains?

Yes, try to filter the grains out.

Anybody want to point Makingitgood to a 'how to brew' site?

MIG, here is the basic order of turning grin into beer:

Malt- that means to sprout the grain, to activate enzymes.

Mash- warm the malt in water so the enxymes convert the starchs into sugars.

Sparge- strain the grains out of the "wort"- wort should be sweet at this point.

Boil- to sterilise, blend flavors, more starch conversion.

Ferment- the yeast turns sugars into alcohol. Ferment until all bubbling stops.

Bottle- add a little bit of sugar so the yeast makes a controllable amount of CO2

Drink- You probably don't need any explanation.

so should i try and get them out of ther? or in a week take em out and put in secondary?

I think you brewed about 4 days ago? If it was kept warm, it may have done most of it's ferementing. Strain it from one bucket to another, call it 'secondary'. You can taste it now too. Or, drink enough by straining it through your mustache to get toasted, if that is your point.
It will taste a lot like the finished product now, but be flat, and a little harsh- ageing will help that. What are your plans for bottling/kegging? Or drink it flat?

Making good beer doesn't seem to have been your point, making cheap, learning to brew, general tinkering around seeems to be your way of having fun... I'll drink to that! I would have tried your recipe years ago, if I had access to a farm full of barley!

ya 4 days ago, i tryed it, it dont tast like beer, it tastes sweet, not drink able, it still bubbles every now and then, so what do you think?

Still sweet = not fermented yet. In my limited experience, temperature seems to be the most critical point for time-to-ferment. 70 degrees is a whole lot faster than 65. Where is your fermenter? Out in the equipment shed? or in your bedroom?

Did you mash the grains? boil the batch? What are you using for an air lock?

Back