Holy Carp! It actually looks like stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a fun thread, but I should get off my bass and do some real work...

Wow, I didn't really this post would have this kind of legs, even WITH the fish reference. (Which was intentional, btw, a buddy of mine used to always say holy carp.)

On topic, this was a bit of an unusual recipe. I didn't have the best of luck with my roasted grain for my last stout attempt, or the other 2 beers I tried it in. So I took a different route:

Steeped 1 lb of GF rolled oats (I tried to toast it in the oven first, but I don't think it was in there long enough to do much more than get warm).

3 lbs sorghum extract
1 lb cooked honey (black)
2 lbs cooked sugar (burnt).
4 oz maltodextrin
1 oz Fuggles
4 gallon boil (turkey fryer)
Yeast: S-04

At bottling time, we bottled most of it as usual, but when we were down to the last little bit in the bottom of the bucket, we added a cup of coffee, so we got I think 12 bottles of coffee stout. I've tried one of those, it wasn't bad (except being undercarbonated).

I've relocated all my recently bottled beer (this and a batch of Dubbel) to a room with an electric heater, and I'm trying to keep it above 70 for a couple weeks so it will hopefully finish carbonating.

As for not being well qualified, I've never had a stout before. I tried a sip of Guinness once, many years ago...

Now to figure out how to make Lager over the holidays... :mug:

Oh, and when I say we burnt the sugar, I mean we really cooked it. It tasted like dark chocolate and looked like tar. I thought it actually tasted a little too burnt.

The honey we cooked until it was the consistency of caramel, it was a little darker, and it tasted like a nice mix of caramel and honey. I should have taken pictures. Maybe I did and I can't find them.

Oh, I somehow forgot the oats! I edited the original recipe to reflect the steepage of the rolled oats.

It's hard to believe that one little perceived typo could spawn so many funny replies...

I dont usually brew gf but this looks interesting so I might try it for the halibut. I'm gonna clam up and not join in the sharking. Congrats to the op it looks as solid as an anchor !

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'm definitely going to try this one for some GF family members. I'm going to try it with Belgian Abbey II, with all that sugar is screams Tripel to me.

Fish joke.

I'm definitely going to try this one for some GF family members. I'm going to try it with Belgian Abbey II, with all that sugar is screams Tripel to me.

Fish joke.

Well you're no fun. What do you think your net ABV will be for this one? Thanks for bumping this to the top, it kind of sank to the bottom there for a while.

Fish joke.

I was actually thinking that for my next Dubbel, I'd do the same fermentables but swap the yeast and hops. This definitely turned out a lot darker than my last Dubbel.

I never thought I'd find such a grouper like minded soles on a home brew forum. I've already learned so much- like being in school! Shoal I go on or reel this one in?

The OP comes in here with good intentions, excited about making a good beer, and you all hammer him with juvenile jokes because of a misspelling. I hope you have enjoyed yourselves, at his expense.

You are all so shellfish.

I agree. We should play Taps on the bluegill and put this to bed.

Wow, I didn't really this post would have this kind of legs, even WITH the fish reference. (Which was intentional, btw, a buddy of mine used to always say holy carp.)

Don't get all clammed up over a few clever jokes! Besides, the OP set this voyage in motion!

Ok I wanted to throw my line in here before we all outgrow this fish bowl and this thread goes belly up. I feel like a lot of the puns have been cast toward the rocks and we might have caught a snag. I'm not saying we otter spawn a new school of thought but its a finny thread so lets keep running up river and come up with salmon more.

All this fish talk has me seaing starfish...

Back