High efficiency ruined my dog treats!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
I made a batch of the spent grain dog treats with the leftover grains from the APA I brewed last weekend and they're so crumbly they pretty much disintegrate when you pick them up. I had about 91% efficiency, and didn't use any wheat/rye. I even added an extra egg to help bind them, since there wasn't much left to them.

I'm thinking that next time I make these I may have to make a dough first of the flour and egg and then incorporate the grains. That should give me a chance to work the gluten into something sticky to help bind them.

Has anyone had this problem? How'd you solve it?

I made a batch of the spent grain dog treats with the leftover grains from the APA I brewed last weekend and they're so crumbly they pretty much disintegrate when you pick them up. I had about 91% efficiency, and didn't use any wheat/rye. I even added an extra egg to help bind them, since there wasn't much left to them.

I'm thinking that next time I make these I may have to make a dough first of the flour and egg and then incorporate the grains. That should give me a chance to work the gluten into something sticky to help bind them.

I'm not sure it's possible to have such high efficiency and good beer... of course I am a noob when it comes to all grain brewing. What temp did you mash at? I am guessing extremely low?

148 for 90 mins. I routinely get high 80's to low 90's on my RIMS since I got a mill for christmas. If anything it's made my beers better. High efficiency doesn't necessarily mean bad beer, as long as you're careful about sparge temp and pH. I think that there's probably less room for error with high efficiency, but as long as you aren't extracting a lot of tannins there isn't really a down side.

my dogs love the spent grain treats...

I cannot think of why yors fell apart. Are you sure you included all of the ingredients? Did you miss something like the peanut butter?

I made a batch yesterday because my dogs love them.

Yep, I made them just like I have in the past, peanut butter, grains, flour and 2 eggs. In the past they've been fairly solid and a bit gummy going into the pan, but this time the dough was crumbly, which is why I added the extra egg.

The dog still loves them, but man do they make a mess, I have to put a handful in his food bowl.

You said it: gummy. You need to add sugar(s) in there. I'd go for corn syrup.

M_C
Yep, I made them just like I have in the past, peanut butter, grains, flour and 2 eggs. In the past they've been fairly solid and a bit gummy going into the pan, but this time the dough was crumbly, which is why I added the extra egg.

The dog still loves them, but man do they make a mess, I have to put a handful in his food bowl.

I've made some pretty crumbly batches, its a pain drying the stuff out before making it.
I think more egg and peanut butter is about all you can do. peanut butter has enough sugar in it, so I wouldn't add any.

I wouldn't add much more ingredient-wise. that would only make them higher in calories, fattening, or make your dogs hyper or give them the runs.

Were the grains a bit dryer than you've used before? I find if I put the spent grains in a strainer for a while (during the brew day,) I get better dough.

B

They were really dry, I had actually spread them and let them air dry on a sloped cookie sheet for a while before using them. Oh well, since the pup doesn't mind I don't mind.

Do you mind posting an outline for that dog treat recipe? Do you bake them?

I see that you said that you let the grains dry slightly. My guess is that the mixture could have used a little more moisture to help the flour hold it all together. I usually put my spent grains in a ziploc bag after brewing to help keep the moisture in before making the treats.

I see that you said that you let the grains dry slightly. My guess is that the mixture could have used a little more moisture to help the flour hold it all together. I usually put my spent grains in a ziploc bag after brewing to help keep the moisture in before making the treats.

What he said.

I also experienced problems letting the grains dry to much. Keep them moist. I also found that putting the mixture in a food processor for 45 to 60 sec. breaks the husks down and makes a nice uniform mixture.

yes! that's what happened to mine. they turn to crumbly dust if you try to make them with completely dried grains.
You have to dry the biscuits well AFTER baking. Storing them sealed, with any moisture they mold over fast. -

Oh - and the recipe is in an older thread with "make your best friend cookies" or has something "best friend" in it. search on that.

4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs

Next time I'll try leaving a bit more moisture in the grains. When I said they were really dry I meant that there was enough water in them to make a dough, but it was more like pie crust dough than bread dough. That's probably the problem.

I do like the food processor suggestion, though. Also, i'm sure that I didn't work the dough enough. More kneeding and more water next time.

Just did this recipe last night for the first time. Took the grain straight from mash tun to food processor. Turned out great, and both dogs were thrilled.

Latest posts

Back