Dog Treats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I know there are several threads on this, but I could not find my answer. I read on one post where after they made the treats and gave them to their dogs that 1 had bad gas and one had diaharria. So I was trying to find out if any one else had this issue with the dog treats?

recipe as follows:
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
4 cups grains.

I just made a batch for my pooch, and after I gave her a couple the thread with the gassed dog popped in my head.

I used same recipe with the addition of pumpkin purée. Out of 5 dogs I’ve never observed gas or squirts. Just be sensible about amount you give the pooch, and make especially sure they are dried out if you store them in an airtight container.

They will get moldy if not dried out and stored in an airtight container.

Was a thing years ago (the 1980s) in the UK from cattle dying due to eating moldy grains. Not saying it would directly translate to grain biscuits, but could definitely be a contributing factor to some who have had issues I could see improperly stored biscuits causing digestive issues for Rover

Like with any other foddstuff the actual amount really matters. You're basically giving them a high-fiber supplement. If you overdo it the non-digestible fiber will have to come out somewhere... ;)

I make dog treats all the time but I think I follow a different recipe. It's the same stuff just different proportions. Never have had an issue.

Deschute's has that same recipe on their website: https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/dogs-life-ruff-spent-grain-dog-treats/

I've been using it for years with no issues. As Mike said a couple of posts up, the drying step in the recipe (reduce heat to 225 degrees for 2 hrs to get longer lasting treats) is key. You want them to be hard like Milk Bone, which will prevent mold from growing.

Just a heads up, don't use grains that have rice hulls added. I haven't tried, but someone posted that they're like tiny razor blades.

I just made a batch of doggie treats a few days ago. I don't have a dog, but I make them as gifts for friends who do.

Basically, same recipe, but I upped the spent grain to 5 cups. They still hold together well. Roll out onto a greased cookie sheet, bake 30 minutes at 350 to firm them up. Then score with a pizza roller and return to the oven for at least 2 hours at 225F.

I've yet to find a dog that didn't like them.

doggietreats.jpg

I know there are several threads on this, but I could not find my answer. I read on one post where after they made the treats and gave them to their dogs that 1 had bad gas and one had diaharria. So I was trying to find out if any one else had this issue with the dog treats?

recipe as follows:
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
4 cups grains.

I just made a batch for my pooch, and after I gave her a couple the thread with the gassed dog popped in my head.
My wife just tried a recipe that uses Oat flour, Peanut butter (Smuckers old fashioned), Eggs, no additional grain. They're baked and the dog loves them.
She shared them with other owners at her training group and they were a big hit. So-far no reports of gassy or squirty dogs.
I don't have the ingredient quantities but will post if anyone is interested.
She even bought a silicone mold to make them in the shape of little bones.

Back