Here's how my first all grain brew day went

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
Here's my recipe, its an IPA. (warning, this thread contains metric :p)

23L
5.5 Kg maris otter
400g crystal 50
100g crystal 100

75min: 10g chinook

30min: 15g willamette, 12g chinook, 12g nelson sauvin, 20g simcoe

5min: 15g willamette, 10g chinook, 10g nelson sauvin, 10g simcoe

dry hop: 25g willamette, 25g chinook, 25g nelson sauvin, 25g simcoe

mangrove jacks british ale yeast

mashed at 65oC for 60 mins (149oF)

It was meant to be a 60 min boil, but I screwed up. :(

OG was 1.053. I'm expecting an IBU of 60 although I wanted about 40 - 45

I'm happy that I finally got to try out the keggle that i've been working on for ages but I'm concerned that my beer is going to be too bitter.

20130803_103826.jpg

20130803_120637.jpg

20130803_130751.jpg

20130803_151728.jpg

20130803_183112.jpg

Looks great.
Keep it in the dark at 17-18 degrees for a few weeks. Give it a quick twist the day before you draw off the beer to shake the trub free from the ledge above the spigot.

If you draw off samples with the spigot makes sure you spray the insides of the spigot with a sanitizer or alcohol, keeps the nasties from gathering in there. Love the Cooper's fermenter, only have to open to clean it out once it goes into the bottles or the bottling bucket.

bosco

That sounds like a good idea to get trub off the ledge, i'll try that. Its currently at 20oC, the yeast instructions say that there should be no esters below 22oC, so I'll be happy if it stays below that. I'm not sure if i'm going to do a secondary or not yet. I don't have a carboy so I would have to either secondary ferment it in 4 demijohns or clean the coopers bucket and put it back into it again.

did you boil in your house??? My wife would kill me, steam the place up with that sweet smell of wort, I would love it, better than any candle she has.

Maybe I should count myself lucky, my wife is very tolerant of the smell and loss of the kitchen on brew day! Of course she worked at a brewery-restaurant when I met her so she has an appreciation for beer.

should I be worried about filling a my fermenter outside? I thought that I might risk infection with bacteria blowing around in the wind, Isn't that how you collect a wild yeast strain?

That sounds like a good idea to get trub off the ledge, i'll try that. Its currently at 20oC, the yeast instructions say that there should be no esters below 22oC, so I'll be happy if it stays below that. I'm not sure if i'm going to do a secondary or not yet. I don't have a carboy so I would have to either secondary ferment it in 4 demijohns or clean the coopers bucket and put it back into it again.

A secondary doesn't ferment at all. I just keep my English brown ales in the Cooper's for a couple of weeks and let it brighten in there. I wait till the krausen is gone from the top and is part of the trub on the bottom.

About 3 weeks + or - a week and ales are pretty clear (no finings used, just a week of extra patience) and ready to go into the bottles.

I run tubing from the spigot to the bottling bucket and it mixes with my priming sugar perfectly. I will sometimes use Cooper's tablets ( 1 per 12 ounce bottle ) and bottle straight of the spigot.

Either way I have never had a need for a secondary and have left ales on the trub in the fermenter for more than six weeks.

Just keep the lid on the fermenter and keep it out of the light.

bosco

Hey, love the build!
Did you let your bag rest on the false bottom or lifted slightly?
If it rested, did you or have you had any scorching of you bags?

Back