Help With Thin Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlonardo

EngiBEERing Since 2012
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently brewed the AH Blue Moon Clone and was disappointed when I measured the FG as 1.005. OG was 1.053 and should have stopped at 1.012. Definitely tastes thin and watery.

I mashed for 90 minutes at 151 which dropped to 149 by the end. Recipe called for a 150 mash. I've measure my thermometer in boiling (210, about correct for my elevation) and freezing water (33). I would still like to measure it in the mashing range but have not had the chance.

I measured my hydrometer at 0.995 in tap water, not distilled. It may be off but would that explain the watery beer?

For reference, the grain bill as as follows:

4 lb. 4 oz. White Wheat
1 lb. Faked Oats
5 lb. 4 oz. Maris Otter

WLP400 Yeast

I haven't yet bottled it, so could I add some maltodextrine to add some body/sweetness?

And so I don't end up with a watery brew next time, what could the issue be? Too long of a mash? Maybe my thermometer is off in the mashing range? Could my hydrometer be off and it's just a psychosomatic thing where I saw that it was low and it tasted watery???

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you correct for the 5 points your hydrometer shows low in water, that brings your FG to 1.010, pretty close to the projected FG. Also, beer that hasn't been bottled always tastes thinner than that which is carbonated and has had 2 to 3 weeks to mature. I think that in 3 weeks you'll be wondering why you posted this. :mug:

For reference, the grain bill as as follows:

4 lb. 4 oz. White Wheat
1 lb. Faked Oats
5 lb. 4 oz. Maris Otter

This may be your problem right here. Flaked oats will improve mouthfeel. Faked oats, on the other hand, will do absolutely nothing.

Sorry, couldn't resist! I have nothing else to offer, lol. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

If you correct for the 5 points your hydrometer shows low in water, that brings your FG to 1.010, pretty close to the projected FG. Also, beer that hasn't been bottled always tastes thinner than that which is carbonated and has had 2 to 3 weeks to mature. I think that in 3 weeks you'll be wondering why you posted this. :mug:

It would also put his OG at 1.058 which might be a little high.

Did you repitch yeast or have a high fermentation temp? How long was fermentation? If it was warm for an extended period or you had some strong healthy yeast that would explain the high attenuation.

It would also put his OG at 1.058 which might be a little high.

Did you repitch yeast or have a high fermentation temp? How long was fermentation? If it was warm for an extended period or you had some strong healthy yeast that would explain the high attenuation.

Fermentation temp was actually pretty low for the yeast, 64ish for about a week. Only pitched one vial when I put it in the primary.

I'd try to mash more around 154 next time and see if that is more to your liking.

Rarely have I tasted a beer in the primary, secondary, or at bottling that gave me a really good indication of how it was going to taste or feel at the end. If, however you're still disappointed after it ages a bit in the bottle (or keg) then do as Calvey suggests and mash at a higher temp next time. this will produce more unfermentables that will contribute to a fuller body.

This may be your problem right here. Flaked oats will improve mouthfeel. Faked oats, on the other hand, will do absolutely nothing.

Sorry, couldn't resist! I have nothing else to offer, lol. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Lolz

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Home Brew mobile app

Definitely agree about waiting. Beer tastes sooo much different after it matures in bottle or keg. I have found myself unhappy with my beer a number of time when tasting at 1-2 weeks (easy to sample from a keg). Then it rounds into shape after the second or third week and wow! it tastes sooo much better. The key is be patient with your beer and you will be rewarded.

Bottled today. Hoping the faked oats don't get me!

Drinking a chilled glass of it and doesn't taste too bad. A little sulfur on the nose from the low fermentation temp but I'm hoping that mellows out over the next couple of weeks.

Back