Help with Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrhomebrew

Reaction score
I am just on my first batch of home brew. My favorite beer is Big SKY IPA. I would love to clone it or get a similar taste. As I am very new to this I am hoping someone can give me pretty clear directions on where to go for this.... I would like to go to all grain brewing eventually, but not ready.... In same sense I would like to be somewhat creative and create my own "kit". I found the whole grain recipe, can someone convert it with simple directions for a to extract? There are two recipes I found, i am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks!

12 lb 2 row
1/2 lb cry 60
1 lb cry 80
3 oz simcoe 60
1/2 oz somcoe 15
1/2 oz crystal 15
1 oz crystal 5
1 oz simcoe 5
dry hop 1/2 oz simcoe
safeale us04
boil 70 min
ferment 65
he didn't say what temp he mashed at but i would assume 153 should hit it close
o g 1.062
fg 1.014

2nd

88% pale malt
12% 75* crystal malt
total IBU 64
IBU's from simcoe 60
crystal and simcoe for flavor and aroma
fullers ale yeast
70 minute boil
153* mash
srm 18
o.g. 1.060

Not familiar with the beer but these 2 recipes are pretty close to each other so I assume someone did their research. Since the first gives you more detail you could go with that. Steep the crystal malts as listed and replace the 2 row with 7.2 lb light DME or 9 lb light LME. For yeast the S-04 or if you want the Fuller's yeast that would be WL002 or Wyeast 1968.
One thing I do notice is that 3 oz simcoe is a lot of bittering, maybe okay if you are doing partial boil and diluting. I would just plug the final recipe into software and make sure the IBU's are coming in right.
:mug:

Chicky pad-

Thanks for the advice! I unfortunately don't have beer software nor not sure I would know what was doing if I had it!

Thanks for telling me which extract malts to get. Someone else thought the 3 oz was high... I am not sure.

If you haven't had the beer you should definitely try it! I really like it and a unique IPA, easy drinking but still have a high alcohol content.

Cheers

There are online calculators that are free if you are interested in starting to play around with the numbers, for example this and this.

I plugged your recipe into Beersmith using the defaults for hops AA's. The below would pretty much hit your numbers for a full boil and 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. Note only 1 oz simcoe bittering and slight change to the extract amounts. If you do partial boil and top off with say 2.5 gallons, the bittering addition goes to 1.5 oz per Beersmith. I'd personally go with more dry hop on an IPA (again, not knowing this particular beer).

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 14.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.2 IBUs

1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L
7 lbs Light Dry Extract (OR 8.5 lb light LME)
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 41.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 2.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 10.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min 8.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 IBUs

Latest posts

Back