help with kettle configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDXX1971

Reaction score
Like the title says I need help configuring the new kettle I am looking to have built. This kettle will have all TC fittings. Why? Because I need it to be as easy as possible.

We have never brewed beer, except one batch of graff. We just got started with home brew a few months ago and have only done ciders. Now I want to make beer. I have decided BIAB is the way to go for us.

I really like the Stout Tanks BIAB set ups but cannot afford that much at once, especially this time of year. Also there are a couple of things I would change.

So we need a kettle. I want 15 gallon kettle. I would like to be able to possibly add electric heating down the road. I want a whirlpool port and a drain. I plan to set up re-circulation through the lid. How would you lay out the ports. Five gallons is at 6" in the kettle I am looking at (Spike).

:mug::mug:

We have a 8 qt. pot we used to make the wort for the graff.

It dose not matter any more now as I came to my senses and ordered a 62 qt. Bayou Classic kettle from Bobby M last night. As much as I would like to have all the high end goodies I want to brew beer, not collect equipment for months before we can brew. (sorry Spike)

This will get us brewing and we can decide later if and what we want to upgrade.

I ordered a 15 gallon Spike kettle with four tri clover ports a few months ago. The kettle is great, and although I haven't even used the tri clover ports yet, I like having them there as it will give me a lot of flexibility should I decide to move to an electric kettle, recirculate, etc.

Here is the thread I started when I was trying to nail down the placement of the ports. I think it has some good information, as well as the port locations I decided on, should you elect to order a new kettle in the future.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=586314

We have a 8 qt. pot we used to make the wort for the graff.

It dose not matter any more now as I came to my senses and ordered a 62 qt. Bayou Classic kettle from Bobby M last night. As much as I would like to have all the high end goodies I want to brew beer, not collect equipment for months before we can brew. (sorry Spike)

This will get us brewing and we can decide later if and what we want to upgrade.

Bobby's newish no-weld fittings are amazing too if you ever want to do any customization. Just got the Tri-Clover one today with the drill bit and in less than 30 mins I had a leak free TC ready to go for my element. The bulkhead for the drain was just as simple. Add to it the new elements he has that are all SS and have the plug right on them and it couldn't be easier. Sorry to sound like a commercial but after getting my package from him today I am so happy.

Latest posts

Back