Help With a Piney Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csded26

Reaction score
So I'm putting together a simple beer that I wanted to be piney with a hint of smoke, and I'm not sure I've got the proportions right. Here's what I've got:

Grains:
5 lbs. Breiss Gold LME
1 lbs. Breiss Dark LME
2 lbs. Weyermann Smoked Malt

Hops:
1 oz. Northern Brewer (60 mins)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (5 mins)

Yeast:
1 pack of Wyeast American Ale Yeast

Additional:
1 oz. Spruce Essence (Secondary)
0.25 oz. Juniper Berries (Secondary)

More or less smoked malt? Does the spruce seem on point? Let me know what you think.

Well for one, if you're just steeping the smoked malt, I think 2 lbs is probably more than you need. I haven't used it yet, but I'd imagine it's one of those "little bit goes a long way" kind of things.

If you're going for a pale ale base, dark LME might contribute more roastiness than you'd like. Were you going for just a color contribution or flavor as well? A pound of amber LME or Crystal 60L could darken your beer up without affecting the flavor as much.

Northern Brewer sounds like a good match for what you're going for. A little late-addition Simcoe could be cool too.

Thanks for the tips--I'm going to brew this this coming weekend! I did a little reading and I think that smoked malt (rauch malt) needs to be mashed--I'm going to do a partial mash with it. People seem to use it up to 70-100% of the grain bill too, so I think the 2lbs (20%) is okay. Here's what I'm going with:

Grains:
6 lbs. Breiss Gold LME
2 lbs. Weyermann Smoked Malt
10 oz. Breiss Caramel 60L

Hops:
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer (60 mins)
0.33 oz. Simcoe (60 mins)

0.5 oz. Simcoe (5 mins)
0.5 oz. Northern Brewer (5 mins)

Yeast:

1 pack of Wyeast American Ale Yeast

Additional:
0.5 oz. Spruce Essence (Secondary)
0.25 oz. Juniper Berries (Secondary)

So I'm putting together a simple beer that I wanted to be piney with a hint of smoke, and I'm not sure I've got the proportions right. Here's what I've got:...

More or less smoked malt? Does the spruce seem on point? Let me know what you think.

While there are smoked beers that use large percentages of rauch malt, a little bit DOES go a long way. If you're really after "a hint of smoke" then you should be looking more in the 1/2 lb range for 5 gallons as opposed to 2 lb range. It's at this range that you'll get the smoke without constantly thinking about campfire, IMHO. If you are going to a LHBS then taste the smoked grains before you buy them - you'll immediately see how much smoke is contained in just a few little grains.

Additionally, there is Oak Smoked Wheat malt that would also need to be mashed. This particular grain gives a very subtle and smooth smoke character and CAN be used in multiple pounds without going overboard. If your brew shop has this then give it a taste as well. You could easily use 2 lbs of this without going overboard.

I also think you could do a larger partial mash (since you'll be doing it anyway) and use some grains you wouldn't normally use (MO, Vienna, Munich, amongst others).

Edit: I should also add that I've never used spruce essence or juniper berries so I don't know how "on point" those additions are. However, I DO like the suggestion below by TriggerFingers to use Chinook; it has a dank piney quality to it especially in later additions.

I would probably use Chinook instead of Northern Brewer. While some say Simcoe = Pine, everytime I have used it that's never what I feel in the nose or flavor.

Back