HELP! Too darn sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed an ale about 6 weeks ago and messed up the hop utilization calcs (I am still a noob!). Basically, ended with a sweet beer that is fully carbonated in bottles. I know that fermentation completed and I know the main fault is the hops utilization...I just messed that up so badly. I am close to 18 IBUs for a 7.5% abv beer....what are my options at this point? Should I just dump it? It tastes OK, but has a sweet finish rather than a balanced or bitter finish. I would hate to dump the entire batch...I have heard people talk about hop tea here, but not sure if it's applicable to my case and if it is, how would I go about using hop tea in a bottled beer...any advice to fix this batch would be greatly appreciated....definitely not messing this part up ever again.

This is funny because my last batch is WAY too bitter and I need to figure out a way to sweeten it up without re-activating the yeast.

Maybe we should blend our 2 batches ;)

Yep, since it's bottled, blending is probably your only option. Definitely don't dump it, just brew a hoppy beer and blend them as you drink. I would use the same grain bill with 3x the hops, what was the recipe and procedure?

my recipe was quite simple actually. i just wanted to get rid of the extra 6 lbs of munich malt extract i had, so i took that with 3 lbs of extra light dme and 0.5 lbs of rice syrup solids to thin the body. used simcoe and williamatte hops, but messed up the order in which i was to use them. recipe is very simple, but if i somehow manage to get some more bitterness to it, the beer will be good if not very good. used nottingham yeast which took it down to 1.010 from 1.076.

are you suggesting that i make another extra hoppy 'beer' and let it go through the whole lifecycle and when it's done, serve half / half depending on what IBUs I get in the new brew? Can i not just make like a hop concentrate with water and use it to blend in my current sweet beer before serving...I have no idea what i am doing, so any insight would be appreciated.

6 weeks?????

Let it sit for 2 months not refrigerated.

As a noob, 6 weeks in the bottle were needed for me. Don't dump it, let it sit. Brew something else, get more bottles.

Sounds delicious, but I like malty ales. Sounds like you accidentally made a sort of hybrid wee heavy/bock/American ale. Whatever you end up doing, don't even think about dumping it.

Back