HELP, i created a monster, i think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineapple

Reaction score
I started my first Blueberry lemon Mead on 10/31/ 13, for 5 gallons, I used the wyeast 3632 XL, the high abv and low foam sounded appealing to me, the beginning hydrometer reading was 1.900, I thought that was a bit high, and went with it. Did my readings on the 10th day and it was lower, everything seemed right on course, but it needed some flavor and sweetness adjustment, I added twenty pounds of blueberries, 6 lemons, and 8lbs of honey... Viola, it was exactly what I wanted. I racked it into, an 8 gallon brew bucket, it was beautiful, clear as a bell, and it sat for 10 days, no fruit cap, not a lot of activity, just some pectin build up that I thought would fall to the bottom. So I racked it again into a 6 gallon carboy, when I woke the next day, it was alive again in the biggest way, so I've been managing the fruit cap twice to three times daily, and degassing it. Today it blew through the airlock, so I didn't panic, I pushed the fruit cap back down. There is no odd smell, it looks very healthy, but I am wondering if there is something else I should be checking? Your input is welcomed and appreciated

Personally sounds delicious and working well.

Not sure but if your happy with the flavor and the gravity dropped at least by or close to 0.100 gravity points, would racking on top of sorbate and campden stop it where you like it?

I'm a newb but alot of what I read was leaning towards this ideal.

Mike

Racking onto Camden (potassium metabisulfate) and Sorbate would not stop the fermentation. Those chemicals help prevent further cell division in the yeast but rarely works unless the mead is done fermenting and the yeast mostly cleared out.

All you can do is let her rip. wait for it to clear again. Then rack onto the Camden and sorbate to keep it from fermenting and back sweeten with honey to taste. Should be really good once done. Lemon and blueberry go hand in hand with each other very well.

Thank you for that Arp, wasn't sure if you had to wait until the fermentation was done, done ?!? I thought with multiple racking it was considered done.

I'm not experienced enough to recognize the need for multiple rackings.

Thank you sir for that

Thanks for all the great input, I did add 5 Camden tabs into the fruit and honey 24 hrs before introducing the must. Would it make sense to let it go through this re fermentation, then add pectin enzyme?

Pectic enzyme is only to help break down the fruit pectin and allow it to clear better. If you have not added any it would not hurt to add a dose now. Normally though I add Camden up front 24 hours before yeast pitch, 12 hours before yeast pitch add pectic enzyme. Wait 2-4 weeks waiting for fermentation to come to a halt. I rack, wait for more sediment to drop, then rack again 2-4 weeks from there onto Camden and sorbate. After 24 hours back sweeten to taste or add additional fruits.

Back