[Help!] Found a kegerator for a STEAL! Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachY2072

Reaction score
Yeah, so basically I found a kegerator on a Facebook marketplace for $150, went and picked it up without hesitation. It's a kenmore fridge, had a coors tap handle on it (no idea if that matters). I am going to attach all the pics of it I can, and really want to clean it THOROUGHLY, this will be my first venture into any sort of kegging. I also have a 5 gallon batch of a Russian Imperial Stout ready to go straight into a keg I'm picking up Tuesday, no idea if it is pin lock or ball lock.

Any help is gonna save my skin, please mighty gurus of HBT, help this lost traveler.

Thanks,
-Zach

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390235420.125112.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390235432.088154.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390235446.315770.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390235461.438334.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390235473.863323.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390235485.792215.jpg

No kidding there!! What could I soak the rest in? I was thinking CLR, and should I just get all the parts from my HB store or run up to Home Depot and try to piece it together myself?

Grab some Bevflex or other suitable liquid line. 3/16" IIRC and about 10 foot long.

The Quick Connect that it comes with is a Sanke adapter. It's the standard for American kegs. If you are going to use corny kegs, like most of us, you will need to pick up some Quick Connects to match the style of corny; either Ball Lock, or Pin Lock.

I'd get some Beer Line Cleaner to have and some PBW/Oxiclean to soak the parts for a couple of hours to clean them. Like the faucet and liquid line fittings. Anything that would come in contact with the beer.

You got a steal man!

No kidding there!! What could I soak the rest in? I was thinking CLR, and should I just get all the parts from my HB store or run up to Home Depot and try to piece it together myself?

Well you got everything except the QDs and I'd change the line, too. Best to get from the LHBS. The only think I could think you'd get at the hardware is hose clamps and the LHBS probably has them too.

Thanks a lot! I got a whole mess of oxiclean I'm gonna soak em in now, then I'll just get em to hook me up tomorrow at my LHBS, I hope with the pics I provided and with you guys worthy advice I'll just be able to dive into this venture. THANKS AGAIN!!

You are going to need a new line, I recommend 10' of 3/16" ID polyethylene that can easily be found at Lowes. And I would soak all the wetted parts in Oxi Clean and rinse thoroughly. And the obvious couplers for whatever type of keg you get. Good luck, and yes so long as that thing gets cold you got a great deal.

I've never seen 3/16" ID 7/16" OD (ie: thick wall) PVC tubing at Lowes or Home Depot. And what they do sell, I would not recommend using - unless you enjoy vinyl aroma and flavor in your beer.

Good tubing is worth the modest investment in $ and time. Don't cheap out...

Cheers!

I've never seen 3/16" ID 7/16" OD (ie: thick wall) PVC tubing at Lowes or Home Depot. And what they do sell, I would not recommend using - unless you enjoy vinyl aroma and flavor in your beer.

Good tubing is worth the modest investment in $ and time. Don't cheap out...

Cheers!

I believe Inidian_Villager is referring to the white Polyethylene (somewhat rigid) plastic lines, not PolyVinylChloride, which will quite possibly pass flavors.

I used Polyethylene for a while and it worked fine for flavor, but I found the texture was a bit rough and caused a bit more foaming than good BevFlex line.

There is no need for thick wall tubing for liquid. At most you might see 30 lbs. pressure for soda or carb bursting.

Yeah just go to your local Homebrew store and ask for a 10 foot section of beer line (3/16 id they will know what you are talking about), and probably not a bad idea asking for the quick disconnects and hardware needed to install them. Shouldnt cost much at all.

Also, I assume that the kegerator cools. Is there CO2 in the tank?

Give the other hardware that touches the beer a oxy soak and then sanitize with some starsan/whatnot. Nice grab.

Back