I got this kegerator for a total steal! But now I need your help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm just getting started kegging. I picked up this Kegerator off Facebook Marketplace for a total steal of $30. It was a bit rusted and full of dirt, leaves, and smelled awful. I drove about 30 minutes up pick it up with no promise it would work and brought it back home.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 11.40.26 PM copy.png

With a bit of elbow grease, rust remover, and windex, I had it looking shiny new in a matter of hours.

The moment of truth! I plugged in the cable and it turned on. I let it chill for a couple hours and as luck had it, it worked!

Keg1.jpg

I replaced all of the tubing in it and replaced the draft tower with something a bit more sleek. I think she looks great! Currently hooked up is 3 gallons of homemade root beer while a raspberry ale is still in the fermenter. Let's just say I'm happy to have the space back in my apartment's refrigerator that was once taken up by a keg and CO2 canister.

Keg2.jpg

Here's the catch, I need your help. I haven't found a ton of comprehensive resources on the actual pressurizing part of the process.

Bear with me, I'm new to this part of the homebrewing experience.

Let's say I force carb a keg. After it's carbonated where do I set the pressure? If I lower the pressure after carbonating, won't the carbonation in the beer drop?

I would love any tips and tricks you may have as I learn this new system. And if you have any good resources that say more than "here's how to use a regulator" I am open ears!

Cheers! 🍻

With a bit of elbow grease, rust remover, and windex, I had it looking shiny new in a matter of hours.

The moment of truth! I plugged in the cable and it turned on. I let it chill for a couple hours and as luck had it, it worked!
Damn lucky! I would have reversed those two, though, test first, clean if it passes! :drunk:

Congrats with your "new" kegerator!
Next up is using EVA Barrier line...

Hey everyone, I'm just getting started kegging. I picked up this Kegerator off Facebook Marketplace for a total steal of $30. It was a bit rusted and full of dirt, leaves, and smelled awful. I drove about 30 minutes up pick it up with no promise it would work and brought it back home.

View attachment 693597

View attachment 693596

I replaced all of the tubing in it and replaced the draft tower with something a bit more sleek. I think she looks great! Currently hooked up is 3 gallons of homemade root beer while a raspberry ale is still in the fermenter. Let's just say I'm happy to have the space back in my apartment's refrigerator that was once taken up by a keg and CO2 canister.

View attachment 693598

Here's the catch, I need your help. I haven't found a ton of comprehensive resources on the actual pressurizing part of the process.

Bear with me, I'm new to this part of the homebrewing experience.

Let's say I force carb a keg. After it's carbonated where do I set the pressure? If I lower the pressure after carbonating, won't the carbonation in the beer drop?

I would love any tips and tricks you may have as I learn this new system. And if you have any good resources that say more than "here's how to use a regulator" I am open ears!

Cheers! 🍻
I found this same Kegerator on FB market place for $70 - I love it and I use it to lager too!
This works for a loose idea. https://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/PDF/economykeggingsystem.pdf

Damn lucky! I would have reversed those two, though, test first, clean if it passes! :drunk:

Congrats with your "new" kegerator!
Next up is using EVA Barrier line...

Agree with your last line. I bought a similar kegerator recently (it looks similar, but without the digital temperature display). Turns out I was able to fit 3 kegs in there, even though there were only two taps. I bought a 3-tap EVA Barrier tower and installed it before using the kegerator. After using various beer lines during my 2 1/2 years owning a keezer, EVA Barrier is by far the best option these days.

Latest posts

Back