Help - First attempt! Did we mess up???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattAndDana

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today, we brewed our very first batch, using a kit from our local homebrew supply shop. The instructions were not very specific, but we tried to follow them as best as possible.

The instructions stated to pitch and ferment the yeast until the # of bubbles in the air lock was approximately one per minute. However, unlike other steps in the instructions, there was no expected timeframe given for this step to be completed. Upon completion of boiling the malt and hops, we cooled the pot down to about 78 degrees and then poured into a 6 gallon bucket, making sure to be as vigorous in the pouring as possible. Then, we aggressively stirred and sealed the top, with air lock inserted. It was bubbling rapidly at first, but slowed to no bubbles at all within 20 minutes or so. We then siphoned the contents of the bucket into our glass carboy and inserted the air lock into that (via a bung). There was lots of foam at that time, but as of about two hours later, the foam is gone.

Were we supposed to wait longer to transfer from the bucket to the carboy, or does it matter? Are we ok, or is there anything we should be doing at this time? The instructions say to wait 7-8 days prior to bottling; as of now, we are planning to just leave it be unless someone has an alternative step that we should take. Hopefully we haven't ruined the batch/otherwise failed miserably.

Thanks for any insights/advice/suggestions!

-Matt and Dana

It takes a good 10 hours or so for the yeast to start making enough CO2 to release from the airlock. It won't happen right away.. I bet it's bubbling away tomorrow. :)

Wait, you left it in the fermenting bucket for 20 mins then transferred to your secondary? The idea is that you do all the primary fermentation in the first vessel. That is usually about a week, but it's a good idea to leave it more like 2 wks to let the yeast clear up and then settle out. You really don't need the secondary step for most beers, which is good because your carboy is now your primary fermenter for this batch. You're better off ignoring the bubble instruction, bubbles don't really tell you what's going on with fermentation (obviously, as your batch didn't ferment out in 20 mins). Instead leave it alone for 2-3 wks, take gravity readings a few days apart, and if stable you can package.

Also, I assume if the carboy is meant to be a secondary vessel it is only 5 gallons. You should probably put a blow off tube on that or you might have a mess.

Google "How To Brew" by Palmer. The full book is online for free, read this before touching the beer again! Watch you tube videos to see it happen. Research first, instructions provided in the kit suck, I hope you cleaned and sanitized everything first? Read the book, it's invaluable.

I was in the LHBS closest to my home a few months ago picking up some DME for a starter or some ingredient I forgot from the LHBS I actually spend my real money at, and I heard the owner on the phone telling someone to count the bubbles in the airlock and if it was "x" number or less per minute to rack to secondary. I just shook my head, paid for my overpriced ingredients, and left.

OP, you did pitch yeast right? The bubbles you saw in the first 20 minutes were not the bubbles mentioned in your instructions . Anywhere from a few hours to a few days after pitching the yeast, active fermentation will usually be noticeable and you will have airlock activity. These are the bubbles (CO2 from the fermentation escaping) mentioned in your instructions. Your beer can be fermenting fine without bubbles - CO2 can escape through leaks in the lid and this is fine.

Most brews do not require a secondary - despite what the instructions that came with your kit say. Yeast will reward you if you leave them alone for a couple of weeks or more and let them do their thing. As a general rule I primary for three weeks and then keg or bottle. If I plan to dry hop, I do that after the first two weeks and do it right in the primary. Secondaries are useful for adding things like oak or fruit or for long-term bulk aging (I currently have an RIS that has been in a secondary for 9 weeks after a months in primary). It is very difficult as a new brewer to wait three weeks before bottling. Try to wait at least two weeks and check gravity with a hydrometer a couple of times three days apart to make sure you have reached terminal gravity. Good luck.

Those are bad instruction. The time frame they had in mind for the bubbling to be one bubble a minute was that would take *days* maybe a week. And it's to slow down from several bubbles a second to one bubble a minute.

This is what they had in mind.
1. You boil and cool the wort.
2. You put it into you "primary" fermenting vessel.
3. You pitch the yeast.
4. Sometime in the next three days your beer will start bubbling.
5. Your beer will go crazy with bubbling 4 or 5 bubbles a *second*
6. After four to seven days your bubbling will slow down.
7. After a week or so it will slow down to a bubble a minute.
8. *Then* you transfer it to a "secondary" fermenter.
9. wait seven to 8 days.
9. Bottle.

That's what the instructions meant for you to do.

But they are *terrible* instructions.

First off. Relying upon air-lock activity is a *terrible* guide for fermenting. Second you don't need to transfer to secondary at all and can live the beer in the first fementor for the entire process. Third, if you do transfer to the "secondary" you shouldn't do it as early as they said. You should wait for the fermentation to be completely over (not merely slowed down to a bubble a minute). And fourthly, the only real way to know when it is time to bottle is by taking hydrometer readings. If you don't have a hydrometer and really want to play it by ear, you should wait at least three weeks from brew day.

I assume your carboy is smaller than your primary bucket. I also assume that if you left it in the carboy overnight you are cleaning your floor and walls right now.
How's it going?

Why do you assume that?

Because most buckets are about 6.5 gallons and the most common size for a glass carboy is 5 gallons, especially when sold as part of a beginner kit to be used as a secondary (where you don't want a lot of headspace).

Google "How To Brew" by Palmer. The full book is online for free, read this before touching the beer again! Watch you tube videos to see it happen. Research first, instructions provided in the kit suck, I hope you cleaned and sanitized everything first? Read the book, it's invaluable.

Thanks for that heads up. I downloaded the PDF to my phone. Wish I had a tablet to read it on but I can easily get it on a computer too

Because most buckets are about 6.5 gallons and the most common size for a glass carboy is 5 gallons, especially when sold as part of a beginner kit to be used as a secondary (where you don't want a lot of headspace).

Hmmm, then it probably was. I've only been looking for primary 6.5 gallon carboys so... I just felt we shouldn't make sophomore assumptions about freshmen brewers. Either way we should cut the OP a little slack. After all haven't we all been inexperienced and made bad assumptions and read instructions a little too literal at some point in our experience.

So, O.P. if your beer is 4.5 gallons or more and your carboy is 5.5 gallons or less, replace the airlock with a blow-off tube. Heck, replace it with a blow-off tube anyway.

Thanks for that heads up. I downloaded the PDF to my phone. Wish I had a tablet to read it on but I can easily get it on a computer too
It's available as a web page (howtobrew.com

Hmmm, then it probably was. I've only been looking for primary 6.5 gallon carboys so... I just felt we shouldn't make sophomore assumptions about freshmen brewers. Either way we should cut the OP a little slack. After all haven't we all been inexperienced and made bad assumptions and read instructions a little too literal at some point in our experience.
Commonly, primary buckets are 6.5g and carboys used as secondaries are 5g. So, if they transfer before fermentation last night, they probably have a mess on their hands this morning. It wasn't sophomoric and, if you noticed, I even asked them how it was going.
I'd still like to know how it turned out.

Commonly, primary buckets are 6.5g and carboys used as secondaries are 5g. So, if they transfer before fermentation last night, they probably have a mess on their hands this morning. It wasn't sophomoric and, if you noticed, I even asked them how it was going.

Speaking of how it turned out...how's your neck of the woods looking Doc? Have a tornado-themed brew lined up yet?

I don't think anyone is giving the OP's a hard time, actually sounds like everyone is trying to be helpful. I would have liked someone to let me know about blow off tubes before my second batch many years ago (the glass carboy was so pretty I skipped the bucket altogether). Then again, maybe you're not a real homebrewer until you've cleaned krausen off your ceiling. ;)

Matt and Dana, welcome to the obsession! Let us know how it turns out.
:mug:

Right, I'm trying to have him research before he has to learn from him mistakes, we all made them, lets get him info to limit them!

Okay, fair enough. I wasn't sure from the reading where they got the carboy and my brew shop sells carboys primarily for primary and are slightly larger but maybe they are plastic and plastic is larger.

I didn't mean sophomore in terms of sophomoric so much as advanced. Nothing's more frustrating when we're beginners coming home in pride and announcing "Look I bought a flarbginator! It wasn't the most advanced but I think it'll suit my purposes as I'm just beginner. Isn't it cool! Oh, I can't wait to use it!" "That's great! Did you make sure it came with carphlanges?" "Carphlanges?" "Oh, yes! You've got to have carphlanges! To adjust the nerfloxes that might get in the air flow." "Well, gee... no one told me about carphlanges..."

So, yes... a blow-off tube is in order if the secondary carboy is smaller than it ought.

Thank you all for the advice and for the reassurance. Clearly we transferred to the 'secondary' fermenter way too early, so we're just going to leave it be for at least a couple weeks and then start testing FG.

To answer a few questions, we did clean and sanitize everything first and we did pitch the yeast. We must have a 6.5 gallon carboy because there is no mess as of yet (we got all the equipment from my brother in law, so I'm not sure of the size), but we'll keep an eye on it and use a blow off hose if necessary.

Thank you again for all the advice. We're excited to start on this journey and see how this first batch turns out.

Suggestion: Start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube. I have had blow offs with a 5 gallon brew in a 7.5 gallon bucket. I have also done one brew in a 6 gallon Better Bottle with no blow off and done a very similar recipe with the same yeast and did have blow off.

A proper blow off assembly is just as good as an airlock. In fact I rarely change back to an airlock unless I need the blow off tube for a new batch.

Just to add a few things here, and I so LOVE numbered points. But I should qualify this advice with a mention that I've only brewed about 8 batches so far, yet I already feel like I know a lot more than when I did my very first batch. So the veterans should correct anything that they feel needs it.

1) It's difficult to tell if you will need a blow off tube until it's too late. Things can seem hunky dory one minute and then 20 minutes later you come back to a mess. The odds are usually in your favor, I think, with most brews from extract kits, but if you have the time and resources then I suggest rigging a blow off tube as soon as possible. Make it once, you'll always have it. It's fairly common to rig one up using most of the parts from a 3-piece airlock, but if you do I recommend using an airlock that doesn't have the '+' plastic nub at the bottom (the narrow end that goes into the rubber stopper). If your airlock has one of those, carefully saw it off. The idea is to create a passage that won't easily get blocked/gummed-up that krausen can get pushed out of. If you don't have time/resources at present to make a blow-off tube, then putting the fermenter in your bathtub with the shower curtain drawn closed is a decent temporary stop-gap measure. However, if your house is like mine - the upstairs temperature where my bathtub resides is a bit too high for fermentation, whereas down in the basement is ideal. So you may want to risk a blown off airlock and mess in order to avoid high initial fermentation temperatures. Regarding temps -- when you pitch the yeast and during the most active fermentation (usually within 2-4 days of pitching) the temperature is extremely important. Most ale-yeasts prefer an ideal temp of around 62-73 F inside the fermenter (NOT the ambient room temperature which may be up to about 10F lower than the beer temp). Other yeasts will have different ideal temps. Go lower than the ideal temps and the yeast will slow down the fermentation process or become dormant altogether. Go higher than the ideal temps and you risk off-flavors. Once the most active fermentation is over, the rules on temp control (especially going above ideal temps) loosen somewhat.

2) Resist temptation as best as possibly to screw with the fermentation process. Sit on your hands and let nature perform its magic. Leave the house if you have to and go to the pub. With my first batch I almost set up camp and slept next to the fermenter in anticipation that something was going to happen. Other than the soothing sound of gurgling bubbles, nothing happened. If you desire a taste after a week or so, fine, but guaranteed it'll taste better after proper fermentation, bottling, conditioning, and then proper refrigeration. You also risk spoilage every time you tamper.

3) Bottling is an important part of the process. Be sure that the bottles are clean and sanitized. If it's the first time you're using the bottles and you and/or your friends or mother-in-law stuffed lemon slices, cigarette butts and whatever else in there, then be sure to use soap, hot water, and a bottle brush to get them good and clean. After first use, you can rinse them well with water immediately after use (night of, or next morning) and then sanitize immediately before bottling more beer. I highly recommend one of these - it's a great time saving device: http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-622/Jet-Brass-Carboy-and/Detail

3) Be sure to follow good procedures when you transfer to the bottling bucket. Avoid splashing the beer around at this stage as it can 'oxidize' the beer, which is rumored to make it taste like wet cardboard. It's important to have adequate lengths of the required hosing to avoid monkeying and frustration (trying to pull hoses off your siphoning system to then put onto your bottling bucket spigot and wand is REALLY frustrating). Calculate your priming sugar quantity very carefully. A small kitchen scale is another good investment and needn't be expensive - I got one for $10 and others may have gotten one even cheaper. You'll also find it handy for measuring hops and even grain when/if you go all-grain. Be sure to add the priming sugar to the bottling bucket before transferring the beer into the bottling bucket. This will ensure it's well mixed. I ruined my first two batches by adding waaaay too much priming sugar for carbonation. I then threw good time after bad by trying to periodically relieve pressure in the bottles in order to salvage what I eventually dumped.

3) Bottling the beer from the bottling bucket can get a little messy. I saw a tip on here that reduced the mess significantly: Set your bottling bucket on the counter above your dishwasher (if you have one) and then perform your bottling on the opened dishwasher door. If you don't have a dishwasher then a plastic storage container or even large flat tupperware container (such as for cup-cakes) might work well too. Spillage will collect on the dishwasher door (or in the container) and reduce the amount on your kitchen floor. Inevitably you'll get some, but it's a lot less.

4) Now that your first batch is conditioning, get another brew day underway so that your fermenter is once again full. You'll be surprised at how fast your first few batches go, and now that you're into the hobby, you'll likely be disappointed by the price and flavor of commercial beer. Work on getting your own 'pipeline' going.

5) Let the primed beer condition in the bottles for at least 3 weeks at about 70-75 F, but feel free to sneak a few tastes before hand. It's also a good idea to refrigerate the conditioned bottles for several days before consuming. The character of the fizz and head will be markedly improved if you heed this last step. Initially I thought that a few hours in the fridge, or 30 mins in the freezer would suffice. Yes, it'll be cold enough, but the carbonation doesn't seem to penetrate the beer as well, while the head was excessively large and frothy - like shaving cream.

6) After your first successful tasting, go to bed dreaming of larger pots, kegerators, blichmann burners and temperature control systems.

Last, I'll offer a small token of advice that i wish I had have known before I brewed my first batch. The 10 most important aspects of brewing beer are:

1) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
2) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
3) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
4) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
5) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
6) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
7) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
8) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
9) Pitching and Fermentation Temperature control.
10) Sanitation.

Back