Helles grain/hop bill with 1056 ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuBru

Reaction score
I have the ingredients for a helles but i do not want to make a lager due to the amount of time it takes...Has anyone made "helles" type wort and pitched 1056 instead of lager yeast? if so how did it turn out?

Just brewed exactly that - split 10 gal of Helles wort between US-05 and Danish Lager yeasts. The Chico version was fermented at 66F, and came out quite good. It can actually pass for a lager now that it's been in the keezer "lagering" for 3 weeks.

As long as you pitch enough 1056 (use a pitching rate calculator), and ferment it cool, should be a decent pseudo-lager.

Just brewed exactly that - split 10 gal of Helles wort between US-05 and Danish Lager yeasts. The Chico version was fermented at 66F, and came out quite good. It can actually pass for a lager now that it's been in the keezer "lagering" for 3 weeks.

As long as you pitch enough 1056 (use a pitching rate calculator), and ferment it cool, should be a decent pseudo-lager.

Awesome..how does it match up to the danish lager batch?

Awesome..how does it match up to the danish lager batch?
The Danish Lager one is still lagering; I was going to bottle it this weekend. It didn't attenuate as much (1.013 vs 1.010 with Chico), and the hydro sample was a bit maltier and smoother. Can't say that one is better than the other - have to reserve judgment until it's done. Can't beat having a Helles done in 3 weeks though (w/Chico).

The Danish Lager one is still lagering; I was going to bottle it this weekend. It didn't attenuate as much (1.013 vs 1.010 with Chico), and the hydro sample was a bit maltier and smoother. Can't say that one is better than the other - have to reserve judgment until it's done. Can't beat having a Helles done in 3 weeks though (w/Chico).

If you dont mind i would like to hear your thoughts on the lager yeast vs chico once that lager is finished...cheers

Back