Hefe de Chile with Merken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKBoitnott

Reaction score
So I had this crazy idea for a new recipe. One of my friends is moving to chile and he was telling me about the strong German influence in craft beer there. This got me intrigued so I decided to look at Chilean ingredients to make an interesting beer.

I found this interesting spice Merken, which is basically a smoked chili powder with coriander. After some discussion, I thought this might be really interesting in a hefe. I would shoot for the clove-like flavors and avoid the banana bubblegum flavors of the style.

My question is the color... Should I keep the light Bavarian style of maybe shoot for something in the dunkelweiss range. I'm up for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey! I know this is really old, but did you end up making that beer? I am actually thinking of making something like a dunkleweiss with merkén! As my username states, I live in Chile and I ****ing love merken. It goes on all my food, from pizza to dry rub in chicken, pork, and Thanksgiving turkey. Salud!

Back