Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very similar to page one here, but

11 lbs. 8 oz. - Maris Otter malted barley
12 oz. - Caramalt malted barley
12 oz. - Torrified Wheat
8 oz. - Turbinado Sugar (Pure/Raw sugar)
Hops:
10 mL HopShot
1.5 oz. - Apollo
2 oz. - Cascade
1.5 oz. - Centennial
3.5 oz. - Columbus
6 oz. - Simcoe

@90 10ml hopshot along with .5oz simcoe
@5 .5 oz each of Apollo, columbus, simcoe
@0 1oz each of columbus and simcoe, plus turbinado sugar

cool to 170 and then steep the following for 30 mins
.5 oz. Apollo
1 oz. Cascade
0.5 oz.*Centennial
1 oz. Columbus
1 oz. Simcoe

cool to 68 and pitch you conan. Ferment at 68 for 2 weeks, then drop to 58 and add the following to dryhop for 8 days before keg/bottling

.5 oz. Appollo
1 oz. Cascade
1 oz. Centennial
1 oz. Columbus
2 oz. Simcoe

Huh, as a Vermonter, maybe this will make it easier for me to find. Woo hoo!
I guess that's possible, but they aren't adding any new retail customers or capacity, so it probably means that it'll only help slightly at most.

The nice thing about the cannery sales was that you were pretty much guaranteed a case if you showed up. Now I expect that it'll be rationed to 4 or 8 cans at a time and you'll never know if it's in stock at a retail store.

Hopefully the brewery can cap the price that retailers can charge, or it could cause a hefty price increase (gouging.)

I guess that's possible, but they aren't adding any new retail customers or capacity, so it probably means that it'll only help slightly at most.

The nice thing about the cannery sales was that you were pretty much guaranteed a case if you showed up. Now I expect that it'll be rationed to 4 or 8 cans at a time and you'll never know if it's in stock at a retail store.

Hopefully the brewery can cap the price that retailers can charge, or it could cause a hefty price increase (gouging.)

True, I don't know how much they were selling from the cannery. Certainly there'll be more supply for the stores, though.

Kimmich's response on his website's comments page:

Retailers will be receiving much more beer so you should be able to access Heady easily. You should be able to purchase a full case from our larger retailers. As always, we do our best to encourage suggested retail pricing- the price should be in the $13-$15.

They sell a ton of beer at the brewery. I just got a case. Wish I had got 2 and figured out how to get it home. On the good news front, they are set to expand soon. They just got approval to have a second building on their property. As I understand it, that means the water use approval all went through as well. They will be expanding production in the not so distant future.

They were pretty unfriendly when I stopped by this summer. Sounds like they got sick of dealing with customers. Personally, there are many other dipas that I would choose over heady, it's just a matter of getting them fresh.

tagz said:
They were pretty unfriendly when I stopped by this summer. Sounds like they got sick of dealing with customers. Personally, there are many other dipas that I would choose over heady, it's just a matter of getting them fresh.
They were friendly and very busy when I was there

I was there late Feb. - they were extremely busy and VERY friendly. They seemed to genuinely appreciate the fact I bought their beer. Solid peeps.

Considering they JUST started up a new growler program a couple weeks ago to distribute even MORE beer to their customers, I don't think they got sick of them.

This has everything to do with the unexpected popularity of the cannery, and the traffic and customer volume it has created. Sounds like they were forced to do something quick due to pissed off locals.

There's definitely a strong localvore movement in Vermont. I'd imagine a lot of locals are tired of out-of-staters buying up a large portion the beer by the case, especially when I imagine Vermonters could probably easily drink all of the beer they're producing.

Seems like out of staters are going to burn up a lot more gas driving to all these retail outlets now. This is kinda opposite of their "green" philosophy.

This is true, but it doesn't list the availability or quantity limits. If you drive 7 hours and 400 miles you want to get more than 1-2 4 packs to make the trip worthwhile.

This is true, but it doesn't list the availability or quantity limits. If you drive 7 hours and 400 miles you want to get more than 1-2 4 packs to make the trip worthwhile.

Maybe you should look for local beer instead of driving 400 miles? I don't see how you can blame The Alchemist for people that are driving 400 miles just for beer. Plus, there's a thing called a telephone + Google. You could lookup the phone numbers for these places.

There's definitely a strong localvore movement in Vermont. I'd imagine a lot of locals are tired of out-of-staters buying up a large portion the beer by the case, especially when I imagine Vermonters could probably easily drink all of the beer they're producing.

I've been there many times - never had a problem with availability at both the cannery and the few retail stores I've bothered to look for it in. They will start something up soon - they've said an announcement will be made shortly and to "stay tuned". I'm going to guess they'll keep the brewery operating as-is (possibly with some expansion), but will also open a second location to make and sell more product. That's just a guess though. Either way I'm not too concerned - they will figure out a way to get good beer to more people one way or another.

VT's economy depends largely on out-of-staters, does it not? I've never gotten the impression that I was unwelcome there. If anything I felt that locals found it amusing that people would travel so far for beer. It is just beer, after all.

VT's economy depends largely on out-of-staters, does it not? I've never gotten the impression that I was unwelcome there. If anything I felt that locals found it amusing that people would travel so far for beer. It is just beer, after all.

I'd imagine so, with the ski resorts and stuff. I think the difference comes when it becomes harder for other Vermonters to find the beer at the retail locations, because so many people from out of state are buying it by the case. We'd much rather have you going to our bars/restaurants and staying in our hotels, while having some of the good local beer.

EDIT: And, certainly we're not unwelcoming. It's more of a respect for the brewery's decision, valuing local accounts over those buying by the case, especially when there's enough demand to not need those case buyers.

I'd imagine so, with the ski resorts and stuff. I think the difference comes when it becomes harder for other Vermonters to find the beer at the retail locations, because so many people from out of state are buying it by the case. We'd much rather have you going to our bars/restaurants and staying in our hotels, while having some of the good local beer.

EDIT: And, certainly we're not unwelcoming. It's more of a respect for the brewery's decision, valuing local accounts over those buying by the case, especially when there's enough demand to not need those case buyers.

Wow...so in order to enjoy your precious heady we should drive/fly across the country to your state, sit in your bar and sleep in your hotel? Wow...this must be some amazing beer! I guess I'll find out. My buddy is shipping me one this weekend.

Wow...so in order to enjoy your precious heady we should drive/fly across the country to your state, sit in your bar and sleep in your hotel? Wow...this must be some amazing beer! I guess I'll find out. My buddy is shipping me one this weekend.

/sarcasm

I didn't say that at all, actually. I was responding to a comment about our economy. Of course we would prefer that people came and enjoyed the beer as part of a vacation or similar. But, yes, I do like the idea of the brewery supporting the local community by making the beer more available locally.

The Ben and Jerry's HQ is just down the road. I can't imagine traffic is the issue.

m3n00b said:

It kind of is worth it. I don't fault them for wanting to keep it local.

paulster2626 said:
I've been there many times - never had a problem with availability at both the cannery and the few retail stores I've bothered to look for it in. They will start something up soon - they've said an announcement will be made shortly and to "stay tuned". I'm going to guess they'll keep the brewery operating as-is (possibly with some expansion), but will also open a second location to make and sell more product. That's just a guess though.

I was just there. They just doubled capacity recently and there are expansion plans in the near future on their property. Also, read the recent BYO article. They are going to brew a monthly special release beer with their recent capacity increase.

Do you really think I'd drive all that way just for a case of beer? I go to VT two weeks/year - once in the summer, once in the winter. Nearly every time I go I seem to drag someone new with me to show them around. I stay in hotels, and I eat in restaurants. I find these statements implying you are more deserving of this product and you command "respect" from people who don't live in VT kind of condescending, and the opposite of the welcoming and friendly attitude I've encountered with Vermonters over the years. You sure you're not from out-of-state?

Seems like it is a neighbor issue that involves some traffic, noise and other issues.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/vt-beers-fans-are-trouble-neighbors

""We've had complaints from neighbors," Jen Kimmich said. "We would have had to fight to keep on going. ... We decided to close down before it turns into a large legal battle.""

Read a couple articles last night. There's this one too:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131105/BUSINESS/311050027/?nclick_check=1

Looks like they're doing exactly what I thought. It's pissed off neighbors (who don't like beer!) who are sick of the traffic around their house - kind of understandable. They're going to close the current spot to the public, push out the beer to the local stores and restaurants while they figure out a way to open a new retail location somewhere nearby that can handle the traffic.

Hopefully the find a way to open a shop somewhere in/around Waterbury where they won't piss any beer-hating neighbors off. I have a feeling the new spot will be bigger and better, and won't just be a 5' counter that's crowded with people having samples.

“We wanted all those people that we saw everyday, that pub was a big part of their lives, we wanted to keep that,” Kimmich said. “We hated to see that disappear. We felt an obligation to give local people some place to come in.”

Their popularity far exceeded their expectations, and now they have a chance to continue making the beer while they come up with a better way to connect with their friends and customers. I like it. Of course, they could have just said this from the beginning instead of being so secretive...

But just like every Vermonter I've ever met, they're not putting themselves on some higher level of importance based on what kind of license plate you have. That just wouldn't be the Vermont way.

Do you really think I'd drive all that way just for a case of beer? I go to VT two weeks/year - once in the summer, once in the winter. Nearly every time I go I seem to drag someone new with me to show them around. I stay in hotels, and I eat in restaurants. I find these statements implying you are more deserving of this product and you command "respect" from people who don't live in VT kind of condescending, and the opposite of the welcoming and friendly attitude I've encountered with Vermonters over the years. You sure you're not from out-of-state?

Well, technically I'm from Maine, but I've lived in Vermont since I was 2. I don't know where you're getting the idea that I think I should command respect? Also, nothing about what I said has anything to do with not being friendly. Kimmich has actualy said stuff far more unfriendly to out-of-staters (his comment about (paraphrasing here) "If you're lucky enough to live in Vermont, you're lucky enough to drink our beer."). I'm simply saying that I like the fact that it'll hopefully be a little easier for the locals to get the beer, and a little harder for those coming up and buying multiple cases (thus making it a little harder for Vermonters to get). I also like the idea that they seem to respect their neighbors enough to not push the noise levels too much.

The current issue of Zymurgy noted a county government study re tourism (pg5). The craft beverage industry in the county where Russian River Brewing Co is located (Sonoma) contributed $123 million to the local economy in 2012; and this year's PtYounger release contributed $2.35 million to Sonoma County during the two weeks -- 65% of the attendees were from out of town beer tourists.
Alchemy can probably show a similar impact from their popularity and hopefully get a bigger sign or do something at a different location so this one neighbor won't make complaints about her driveway.

The current issue of Zymurgy noted a county government study re tourism (pg5). The craft beverage industry in the county where Russian River Brewing Co is located (Sonoma) contributed $123 million to the local economy in 2012; and this year's PtYounger release contributed $2.35 million to Sonoma County during the two weeks -- 65% of the attendees were from out of town beer tourists.
Alchemy can probably show a similar impact from their popularity and hopefully get a bigger sign or do something at a different location so this one neighbor won't make complaints about her driveway.

I wouldn't count on it too much in the Alchemist's case. Kimmich has said he doesn't want to grow much more than the current production volume.

Considering the best way to get Heady yeast is to harvest from the actual product, discussion regarding availability and possible changes of said product is quite relevant when discussing how to produce an identical beverage at home.

Considering the best way to get Heady yeast is to harvest from the actual product, discussion regarding availability and possible changes of said product is quite relevant when discussing how to produce an identical beverage at home.

Don't mind him, it's just the obligatory 21st post rule that demands the poster to troll by pretending to keep people on topic.
That :off: is :off:

This whole closing business sucks for out of staters right now, who are planning a trip just to go there. It is supposed to be temporary, at least.

And just my opinion, since were all judging vermonters right now, is that they tend to dislike everyone with the assumption that no one else cares about whay they do the same way they do, not even their neighbors or parents. I call it an elitist hippie state of mind.
But I love the land, the beer, the snow, etc etc

Plenty of reasons to go to Vermont still.

• You can still buy Heady Topper. Instead of 30% of their production being shipped out to stores and bars, there is now 100%.
  • Hill Farmstead still exists.
  • Lawson's Finest still exists. Also, you have never been able to buy beer there - you have to time a visit to the Warren GS juuuust right.
  • Switchback,Shed,many brewpubs,lots of beer still flowing (like wine, and women insinctively flocking like the salmon of Capistrano)
  • The Green Mountains ain't going anywhere.
  • They still have delicious cows, available for everyone!

I've always found Heady at stores. The guy in Stowe usually has some, as does some store in Waitsfield that I can't remember the name of.

Plenty of reasons to go to Vermont still.

• You can still buy Heady Topper. Instead of 30% of their production being shipped out to stores and bars, there is now 100%.
  • Hill Farmstead still exists.
  • Lawson's Finest still exists. Also, you have never been able to buy beer there - you have to time a visit to the Warren GS juuuust right.
  • Switchback,Shed,many brewpubs,lots of beer still flowing (like wine, and women insinctively flocking like the salmon of Capistrano)
  • The Green Mountains ain't going anywhere.
  • They still have delicious cows, available for everyone!

I've always found Heady at stores. The guy in Stowe usually has some, as does some store in Waitsfield that I can't remember the name of.

You forgot to mention that this is the state in which Super Troopers takes place.

You forgot to mention that this is the state in which Super Troopers takes place.

The worst part of that movie was that they were chugging fake fake syrup. At least they could have put their fake syrup (that's easier to chug) in the containers you'd normally get the real syrup in.

...is that they tend to dislike everyone with the assumption that no one else cares about whay they do the same way they do, not even their neighbors or parents...

Huh? Can you explain in more detail what you mean? Perhaps you could provide an example?

Back