Heading to Cincinnati

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhrobinson

Reaction score
The wife and I are heading to Cincinnati to vist family. We are both love craft beer. Is there any place that is a MUST SEE up there?

Not really. There is the haufbrau house across the river in Newport and there is a rock bottom in downtown, but I didn't like their beer. Haufbrau house has a good German beer selection- the beers are good. There are a lot better bars across the river. I remember on place I got a pitcher of dead guy for 8 bucks.

Go to mein strasee in Newport across the river in ky. Eat the goulash at the hofbrau house and enjoy a few liters!!!!

Swing by Listermans Homebrew store. Fries( freeze) in Clifton has good selection of microbrews, it's near campus but the demographic is pretty broad. I second Hofbrau, more for the atmosphere than the beer. There is also Christian Morelein lager house near the stadiums, but IMO their beers aren't all that good and the service is a bit lacking. They also have tons of typos on their brass plaques in the entryway.

Montgomery Inn boathouse has a great view of the river if your looking for upscale dining or the Precinct off of US-50 & Delta.

If you want craftbeer look up MadTree Brewing Co., Mt. Carmel Brewery (I grew up in the house that is now the brewery), River City Brewing, Listermann's. They all have tap rooms and are great gems of the City in terms of craftbeer.

What area of Cincy will you be in?

I'd like to hit Godfather's pizza again. Kind of a Chicago style with a top crust with more sauce & cheese. We used to love that place when the kids were little. I'd been transferred there a long time ago.

the German place in Clifton in mecklinberg gardens. near university and Jefferson

If you want craftbeer look up MadTree Brewing Co., Mt. Carmel Brewery (I grew up in the house that is now the brewery), River City Brewing, Listermann's. They all have tap rooms and are great gems of the City in terms of craftbeer.

What area of Cincy will you be in?

She said Miami Township?

Hofbrauhaus is a good time, and IIRC it's near the Newport Aquarium. Also, it's gonna sound kinda weird, but Jungle Jim's International Grocery Store. HUGE, really neat grocery store, huge beer & wine dept with some homebrewing supplies. Cheese, seafood, and as the name implies, international items. Did I mention this place is huge? It's HUGE!!!

Hofbrauhaus is a good time, and IIRC it's near the Newport Aquarium. Also, it's gonna sound kinda weird, but Jungle Jim's International Grocery Store. HUGE, really neat grocery store, huge beer & wine dept with some homebrewing supplies. Cheese, seafood, and as the name implies, international items. Did I mention this place is huge? It's HUGE!!!

Yep I have already been "told" we are going to Jungle Jims lol

JUNGLE JIM'S

Not a brewery, but the most awesome store ever. More kinds of beer, more kinds of hot sauce, hell, more kinds of pasta, than anywhere else. My friends make a list anytime anyone goes to cincy. Anytime I go I stock up.

Oh, You should also hop across the river to The Party Source in Newport, KY. They should be done with their brewery now, but they are the largest liquor store I have ever been in. They have so many kinds of beer from all over. Between them and Jungle Jim's you'll be hard pressed to not find the beer you're looking for.

the second poster is pretty wrong. there are quite a few microbreweries and places to enjoy craft beer. This is my ranked list of places to check out.

1 - Moerlein Lager House (right on the river downtown. This is the premier stop.). If you're just drinking, head straight to the biergarten. There is a parking garage underneath. After drinking, walk to Smale park and sit on one of the swings and watch the boats go by. Also, the Reds hall of fame is pretty awesome and right there if you're into baseball.
2 - the newly opened Rhinegeist Brewery. Great beer, in a historic / transitional area. Park on the street and keep valuables in your car out of sight.
3 - Madtree brewing - awesome beer and good setup once you are inside. The building itself and general environ is pretty bland but easy to get in and out of with your car.
4 - 50 west is out near where you'll be and I hear it is very nice, plenty of parking I'm sure. Ditto for Mt Caramel.

Others mentioned Hofbrauhaus -- this is the place to go if you love German beers.
Rock bottom is right downtown but the beer is very "90s craft brew" -- in other words, not up to snuff.

the second poster is pretty wrong. there are quite a few microbreweries and places to enjoy craft beer. This is my ranked list of places to check out.

1 - Moerlein Lager House (right on the river downtown. This is the premier stop.). If you're just drinking, head straight to the biergarten. There is a parking garage underneath. After drinking, walk to Smale park and sit on one of the swings and watch the boats go by.
2 - the newly opened Rhinegeist Brewery. Great beer, in a historic / transitional area. Park on the street and keep valuables in your car out of sight.
3 - Madtree brewing - awesome beer and good setup once you are inside. The building itself and general environ is pretty bland but easy to get in and out of with your car.
4 - 50 west is out near you and I hear it is very nice, plenty of parking I'm sure.

I agree.. and if you are in Miami Township (milford / loveland area) then 50 west is very close and really good... cant believe I forgot to mention them. Also, I love how people post on here about Cincinnati and they dont even live in the town (according to their location).

Also, I love how people post on here about Cincinnati and they dont even live in the town (according to their location).

Tourists have a different perspective about a place than residents. Residents tend to take things for granted, while tourists need to get more bang for their buck.

For the four years my wife and I lived in Richmond we did a ton of touristy stuff that people born and raised in Richmond didn't even know about. So then we'd make recommendations to our local friends about things to do, places to eat, etc.

Tourists have a different perspective about a place than residents. Residents tend to take things for granted, while tourists need to get more bang for their buck.

For the four years my wife and I lived in Richmond we did a ton of touristy stuff that people born and raised in Richmond didn't even know about. So then we'd make recommendations to our local friends about things to do, places to eat, etc.
well, in this case it's the opposite. the non-locals are saying there is nowhere to get good beer and the locals are saying, uh, wait a minute.

i think it is a matter of the non-locals having dated info. the beer scene here was pretty dismal 5 years ago.

well, in this case it's the opposite. the non-locals are saying there is nowhere to get good beer and the locals are saying, uh, wait a minute.

i think it is a matter of the non-locals having dated info. the beer scene here was pretty dismal 5 years ago.

True, true. I guess I was looking at it from a non-beer perspective. Clearly I need a beer! :mug:

Thanks to everyone who recommended everything. We went to MadTree, Morlein, and 50 West. MadTree was OUTSTANDING!!. 50West was really good to. I am glad we don't have a Jungle Jim's on Jacksonville cause I would have no money lol

Thanks to everyone who recommended everything. We went to MadTree, Morlein, and 50 West. MadTree was OUTSTANDING!!. 50West was really good to. I am glad we don't have a Jungle Jim's on Jacksonville cause I would have no money lol
Great choices! I'm glad you had fun. I think MadTree is probably our best or second best brewery.

Good choices! Glad you enjoyed the city. I live about 3 miles from Junge Jims and I must refrain from going there every other day!

Back