Has anyone used a pressure cooker to boil part of the wort? DMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
If so. What are your experiences?

(Almost) just for fun I got myself a small pressure cooker the other day, as I'd want to boil some of the wort in it to get some more maillard-reactions without boiling for several hours.

The thought of DMS lingers in my mind. My plan for my initial test is to boil about 35% of the beers post boil volume in the pressure cooker for an hour. I've read that things go about 4 times faster in a pressure cooker at 1 Bar, than without pressure. Then add that wort back to the main boil to try to scruff off some potential DMS and boil for 30 minutes more in the main boil. Maybe I'll try 45 minutes in the pressure cooker, so it would get 45 minutes in the main boil, not sure yet.

It's a hefe I'll start with.

Any experiences with DMS? Links? Etc?

If you search the forum, you'll find lots of people who use a pressure canner to can starter wort for long term storage(pressure-canning to avoid botulism)... I haven't done it, so I don't know about DMS, but I'm sure you can find folks who've done it...

Unless you're using pilsner malt, it might not be too big of a deal with modern well modified malts...

Last edited:
Won't know till you try I guess.
You could just mini mash(or just use extract) in the cooker the night before with a paint strainer bag, bring to a boil under pressure (duh duh duh duhnah nah) and remove from the heat, leaving it sealed. Then, put it back on boil after you mash in. Or hell, just boil it the night before and leave it sealed up. Add to the boil as normal.

I would caution mashing high because that pressure cooked wort may not ferment out as low, depending on the length of boil.

Yeah I've seen threads about people pressure cooking starter wort, but this wort is most probably being decanted afterwards.

And yes I know about the lower attenuation of a highly maillard-y-wort. But I'll proceed as normal for my first test to gather some data to compare against a wort which haven't been pressure cooked.

Back