Hangover debate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randzor

Reaction score
So my wife swears that she has the best hangovers with my homemade ciders. There was a thread about apple jack, and someone commented on hangovers. So I thought I'd ask.

Do you get better/worse hangovers on your own brews compared to commercial brews?

I used to get pretty bad hangovers from my homebrew, until I started controlling my fermentation temps better. Now I'd say it's comparable with commercial stuff.

I agree with the above poster about fermentation temps. From what I've read, and experienced with my first couple ciders, fermenting too warm for the yeast (in the closet for me) produces more fusel alcohols, which contribute to worse hangovers... Since I built and use my fermentation chamber, I haven't experienced the taste and hangovers of fusels...

I get better hangovers (if there is such a thing) from my own brew meaning that I don't get headaches & body aches like I get with commercial brews, I'm just tired.

I chugged too much cider a few weeks back and regretted it for the entire 12 hours I emptied my stomach in the toilet and a bucket...

Everyone always talks about the "hell" of a hangover. It really must suck according to all the stories and the my hangover was the worst of all talk. I guess I am lucky but I have never had one. I have done more than my share of drinking. I was in the military and getting of the plane in Frankfurt they had to help me stumble off the plane. 20yrs old free drinks with the drinking age at 18 over international waters, yep I was feeling no... well nothing!:drunk:
42, combat vet, PTSD, yeah I drink pretty much what and when I want. Still no hangover.:drunk::rockin:

The funny thing is, I generally get no hangovers, with the homebrews, but man the commercial brews have such a bad hangover due to the sweetness... Then Again i'm only about 2 years into the cider making hobby so my data points are rather limited.

I have friends how say they "never get a hangover." I also have friends who don't know how to party.

As for the homebrew hangover, mine seem on par -but I haven't tried apple jack yet.

I've heard that consuming the yeast in bottle conditioned brews help fight off miserable hangovers. Something to do with the vitamin b12(I think) that's present in the yeast. I don't have any scientific backing to this but from what I've heard/experienced it seems to be accurate.

I haven't suffered a hangover since switching to cider from beer (and believe me, I can put the stuff away). I can't wait to try some home made stuff but I did edworts recipe and I read it really packs a punch. So maybe that will cause a hangover lol

Well.. Ok, I won't go there. My wife get's a 'hangover' too.. Me, it takes a fifth of ****ty whiskey to get a hangover. Oh wait, by hangover do you mean headache? So that's why I wake up everyday with a headache.. I thought it was lack of sleep, stress, and having 4 kids under 6.

Hangovers, just like any other pain is subjective. It doesn't effect everyone the same and too may other variables including mood, hydration, amount of sleep, stress, and just... I can go on and on.

If someone has a headache and feels like crap the next day after drinking it's a hangover. If they feel like crap and have a headache when they wake up any other day it's a bunch of other excuses and it's really all psychological up to a certain point in my experience.

How is she with Red Wine's? Like, the dry ones with tannins. Cabs, Merlots, etc?

I've never noticed any worse hangover after drinking homemade cider over commercial beers, ciders, or anything really. Except commercial liquor and wine. I have gotten hangovers from homemade wine and some of the shine we used to see on dead tour.

Even with the ferm temps, I just don't buy the hangover debate surrounding cider. It's just not concentrated enough for the fusels and methanol to matter.

As you can tell, I'm a skeptic.. I want to see a double blind study and a placebo before I buy into comparing hangovers from specific beers and ciders to each other or wines to each other or liquors to each other regardless of where or how they were made.

Back