Handmade beer flight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisl77

Reaction score
Was playing around in the woodshop this weekend throwing around different ideas for beer flights. This is what I came up with. Still have a few other ideas to work on just waiting on some different types of wood to arrive. I made this out of maple with some red oak strips laminated on the sides. Cant really see the color variation just the different grains in the wood. Got some darker wood coming in the mail to play around with.

Have another one that's a similar size I just changed up the edge and legs. Just need to get some coats of polyurethane on it.

Nice! I have zero woodworking skills so when I see the projects in these threads that members complete, it inspires and amazes me. I actually just had a buddy of mine make a simple 4-beer flight paddle for my brother's 30th birthday. It's just a simple paddle copied from one I bought from a store. I forget what type of wood he used and he said he is staining it for me. I had a local sign guy etch in his initials on the 5 oz glasses I bought. I want to burn or carve the initials in same font into the handle of the paddle as well.

I like how your glasses sit in the holes. Nicely done!

Cheers!

_01.jpg

Good job. Only mod i'd make is to just use glue for the base/legs. Then you wouldn't need to have the wood plugs you have there. That joint will be strong enough for what you're going to be putting it through.

The plugs are part of the design along with structure. That's the reason I made them in the accent wood. Just started putting polyurethane on another one that I made out of maple and cherry.

I get why they are there, I guess it just jumps out at me as the first thing my eye goes to. That last piece is nice with the contrast of the maple and walnut, I'd rather be looking at that with your edge profile than be drawn to the plug. That's all. Working with those three species alot, I tend to try not to take away from them is all. Not giving you negative feedback, just figured I'd let you know you'd be fine without the need for the screws/plugs. I know when I started wood working, I used wood plugs and screws on everything, not really realizing the power of a glue joint, when applied properly.

nice work, but as some say, I would work on getting rid of the plugs. You may like them, but it shouldn't be part of the nice work you do. I would use dowels in the legs that are glued into the bottom of the top. And use Gorilla glue, that **** works great, especially on wood that has the potential to get wet.

Latest one. Used some of the pieces I had left over from previous builds.

And a pic of all 3 together

Very nice. I'm not a wood working guy at all but if you would like a bit of constructive critism on the original, I think the legs take a bit away from the overall appearance. They are a bit blocky and awkward and I think would do well with router'd edges and either an inlay or cut some kind of recess into the flat face. Maybe scroll saw or burn your initials or brewery name into them???
Love the later versions- plugs 'and all
Just my 2 cents - cheers

I like the plugs too especially when they are different color. But if you didn't you could pocket screws

Those look great! But wood shop? Is that like high school wood shop? :p

Those look great! But wood shop? Is that like high school wood shop? :p

I wish I had all the power tools I had when was in school wood shop. I doubt the high school even has the wood shop anymore. The year after I graduated they had already eliminated auto shop and the metal shop. My hobbies have taken over the entire basement. I have a dedicated room for my brewing, a bar room, and a room where I have all my power tools setup. That's what I am referring to when I say woodshop. Wish I had more room there is no more space left.

Back