Greetings from MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreenmartian

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been lurking for the past few weeks and decided to introduce myself.
I just recently brewed my 2nd batch of homebrew; first was at my LHBS since they do brew on premises. When my nut brown came out awesome, I decided after that that it was something I could easily do at home since I already had access to a turkey fryer.

For my first brew on my own I kind of jumped in head first with a slightly modified DFH Punkin Ale recipe. It's now in primary with about 4lbs of roast pumpkin due to realizing too late that straining with a pasta strainer just wasn't going to work. Fermentation started pretty slow but has really taken off after about 36 hours, and blew out through the 3pc airlock that came with the kit, so I replaced the airlock with the siphon hose from my kit into a small bucket of Iodophor.

I was planning on giving it 3 weeks before starting to check to see if the FG is stable. OG was 1.070, I'm expecting that it should finish up around 7.9%ish with FG around 1.018 according to beersmith, if I used it properly...

And now for some questions!
With all of the pumpkin still in, should it take longer than expected for primary?
In this case, is racking into secondary going to be necessary to get all of the pumpkin out?
Should I buy a new siphon hose since I used the one I had for blowoff?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew!

I would just leave the beer in the primary for about 3 weeks, at this point most of the yeast and pumpkin matter will be solidly compacted at the bottom of the fermenter. For the siphon hose, you can buy more (I like to keep some on hand anyways) or you can just but the airlock back in a few days and clean the siphon tubing.

Back