Grassy Taste - Saaz Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sancycling

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a German Ale. I can't lager so I'll use a Lager recipe with US-05 and ale temperatures.

Last time I did this I got a grassy taste that I didn't like. I blamed my process and hight fermentation temperatures for it. But I recently made another Ale and got the same grassy taste. The only thing in the beers that is the same is that I used Saaz hops in both. Reading a few posts it seems that this could be the case.

So for my next German Ale I would like some hop suggestions that won't give me the grassy flavor. Any suggestions? Non of the German beers that I've tasted have that grassy taste.

Some more info on the recipes with grassy flavor
1)
4 Gal Batch
Malt:
Rahr Pilsen 7.25#
Weyermann Carapils .45#
Mashed at 150F for 1 hr
OG: 1.050

Hops:
Saaz @60 0.5oz
Saaz @30 1 oz
Saaz @10 0.75oz
Saaz @flame out 0.75oz

Yeast: US-05 (1 pack)

2)
4 Gal Batch
Malt: Second runnings from RIS (so who knows)
Sugar: Added some Piloncillo
OG: 1.055

Hops:
Mixed @60 0.9oz
Fuggles @30 0.5oz
Fuggles @5 0.50oz
Saaz @3 0.50oz

Yeast: Fermentis T-58

Thanks

Grassy flavor may be more due to minerals, hard water, in your brewing water rather than the hops. Have you had a water report completed for the water used in brewing with Saaz?

Saaz do have a light grassy aroma and taste to them. There's certainly the possibility that they are causing this. At the same time however high fermentation temps can give you all sorts of off flavors.

Saaz do have a light grassy aroma and taste to them. There's certainly the possibility that they are causing this. At the same time however high fermentation temps can give you all sorts of off flavors.

I agree, saaz is like that. It's doesn't seem to surface much as an issue though since it typically makes its way into more traditional low ibu brews. I personally like saaz, but anything is possible given a particular taste, part of the learning process I suppose.

Sounds like a great excuse to hunt down a fresh pint of Pilsner Urquell.

Looks like you were going for a Pilsner-ale kinda thing. Considering you've used all Saaz and Pils malt I'd think that this turned out the way it's supposed to. Especially with late kettle hops amounting to nearly 2oz.

Whenever I've used Saaz in an ale it's had a strong grassy taste to 3-4 weeks and a mild grassy taste until about 6-8 weeks in the bottle, after which that's gone away and the beer becomes yummy.

(I find certain malts mellow out only after 6-8 weeks too, like Pilsner and especially Munich malts; I guess that's why these malts and hops are so traditional in lagers!)

Pilsner Urquell. Yes it was a great excuse. I had to get a bottle (a 6pack really) as I cant get a pint. But I didnt find that garssy flavor.

All my early brews were fermented without temp control but ambient temp was at 71-73. Ive only got that flavor from beers with saaz hops.

I'll give it a try again now that I have a way ti control ferm temps.

So we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the comments

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Home Brew

Latest posts

Back