Grapefruit shandy STINKS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonf1083

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to homebrewing, with only 4 brews under my belt... (And only one of which I thought was decent), but a couple buddies love grapefruit flavored beers, so I bought the easy brew in a bag kit...seems too simple. Anyhow, little over a week I opened the fermentation bucket to measure S.G. and nearly gagged, the brew smells like someone literally went poo in a bucket and sealed it for a week... is this a bad blend? It's due for bottling now, and I'm not sure if I should go ahead with it? It has toned down some, but still the stinkiest "brew" I've had thus far. (I'd relate it to a dog having diarrhea...:mad:)

If it's just been a week, it's probably still fermenting, and depending on the yeast used, it can stink. Some yeasts can give off some sulfur like odors.

Having said that, how large of a batch are you brewing? What yeast did you use? At what temperature is your fermenter?

Never had a Shandy. Local store selling Cranberry Shandy for like $10 a case. I don't like cranberry so I passed this one up. LOL

Latest posts

Back