Krausen remains after pitching fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monmouth00

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been lurking here for a few years, gathering tips and doing research. I'm relatively new to brewing, with only a dozen or so extract batches under my belt.

I'm hoping to get some guidance from the community about what I hope is not a screw up.

So I'm trying to do a East Coast meets West Coast IPA. All was going well, with good fermentation that lasted what seemed to be the right amount of time. Good krausen, which came and went in the normal amount of time.

After two weeks in the primary, I added some grapefruit extract. I made sure to thoroughly clean and disinfect the can and opener, and pitched the puree directly into the primary.

As expected, fermentation kicked in again for a day or two, and a small amount of krausen returned.

It stopped bubbling in just a few days, but now on day 8 I still have a thin krausen on top, which isn't subsiding.

Is this just grapefruit puree leftover, or is this thin cover indicative of an infection?

I was thinking about getting into the keg this weekend, but don't want to do it prematurely.

Your thought on the matter are appreciated.

-Monmouth00

What yeast are you using? I get something similar to that when I add strawberries to a beer I regularly make. I use US-05.

What yeast are you using? I get something similar to that when I add strawberries to a beer I regularly make. I use US-05.
I just used the yeast from the Brewer's Best kit, against my better judgement. I don't like the dry yeast. I generally upgrade when buying a kit, but my kids were with me, and you know the rest.
I'm pretty sure it was Safbrew WB-06.

6C434B5E-CB6A-4B52-969D-24CF075174E4.jpeg

Thanks - for both the welcome and the diagnosis!

Interesting that after more than a dozen batches that this is the first time I've seen this.

Learning something new with every batch!!

Thanks again!

Back