Grants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vineyardbmw

Reaction score
Routinely use a grant while lautering. My buddy says on a 1/2 barrel system it is unnecessary. I say he's full of s**t. You are still pulling suction on the grain bed no matter the brewery size. I know you guys have no issues with opinions so fire away.

Routinely use a grant while lautering. My buddy says on a 1/2 barrel system it is unnecessary. I say he's full of s**t. You are still pulling suction on the grain bed no matter the brewery size. I know you guys have no issues with opinions so fire away.

Never used one, never had an issue.
I do 10 gallon batches and go directly from MLT to BK. No problem. All gravity tho.

pb

Bobby_M said:
You're only going to compact and stick your mash if you allow it to run off faster than you should. That's what throttling the pump back is all about.

Talk to me more about throttling back. I use a direct coupled pump so unlike a march I could easily get into a dangerous portion of the curve by throttling. I could use a bypass but that could cause priming issues. A VFD is next on my lust list that would solve it. But a grant does allow easy access for sampling runoff and a good spot to add "whirlpool hops" on the way to the fermenter.

Most homebrewers do use a mag drive pump of some variety so that's why grants are substantially limited to pro breweries. The trend in homebrewing is actually more about reducing the number of vessels rather than adding to it (look at the number of Brutus 20, Braumeister and BIAB threads). However, to my previous point, using a grant with a float switch to cycle a pump on and off is definitely one way to get around having a way to slow your pump down.

Awesome. I'll add that float this weekend. Can't believe I never thought about that. *forehead slap*

Back