Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For an update I brewed a 5.2oz hop Beer yesterday, all pellets straight in again, no hop filter. No clogging. I also ran without the check valve and problem I have with that is it nearly overflows up the side of the tun on the mash step. Without the ball and spring there's a bit more flow. Also, I seem to get more wort over the overflow the whole time and before it would nearly stop at the end. I'll probably run with it next time.

With using the CF chiller you completely avoid cold break.

RMCB

I thought that was the downside to the CFC? That you end up with cold break in your fermenter (unless filtering into the fermenter).

For an update I brewed a 5.2oz hop Beer yesterday, all pellets straight in again, no hop filter. No clogging. I also ran without the check valve and problem I have with that is it nearly overflows up the side of the tun on the mash step. Without the ball and spring there's a bit more flow. Also, I seem to get more wort over the overflow the whole time and before it would nearly stop at the end. I'll probably run with it next time.

Good call. Its easy to pull when getting ready to chill, if not a bit hot!

I thought that was the downside to the CFC? That you end up with cold break in your fermenter

It's arguable whether that would be considered a downside. Seem to remember an xbeeriment that suggests not. Can't say it has been a significant prob for me, and I own an immersion chiller, a plate chiller, and the GF CFC.

Ok....y'all got me. I've been reading for two days. Then I get the northern brewer 20% off code in my email.

Well....it's a done deal.

It says in the offer details doesn't include Grainfather, but if you put it in your cart and apply the coupon it discounts it. Did it actually let you check out for the $731.92 price?

It says in the offer details doesn't include Grainfather, but if you put it in your cart and apply the coupon it discounts it. Did it actually let you check out for the $731.92 price?

Good catch, I just tried for the heck of it and I got as far as putting in my credit card. Should work! Whether they refund you or actually honor it....who knows.

With using the CF chiller you completely avoid cold break.

RMCB

I get lots of cold break in my fermenter every time.

image.jpg

I get lots of cold break in my fermenter every time.

Yeah, that's what I thought, not that it's an issue, as Gspot said, however I'm filtering to keep my yeast collection as clear as possible. It's easy with my conical's wide opening top to filter. Just my new approach with GF, may not matter other than an easy collection and more yeast in proportion to total it appears to me than before.

Well I placed my order on Northern Brewer for $731 and it should be here by Thursday or Friday with the expedited shipping. We'll see If I get a call saying they need more money because the details clearly say the 20% does not apply to the Grainfather.

Now more anxious than ever for GF to get here, ordered grain bill for Biermuncher,Ed Wort and Yoopers pale ales yesterday and it just arrived on my porch about 10 minutes ago. Oh well it will need cleaned and I have to build my ugly grain mill contraption first. Feel like a kid in back seat on long road trip "are we..is it here yet?"

You've done this a number of times now correct? I'm just worried about all that hop debris going through the pump.

I will give it a try next brew!

Anyone else remove the filter altogether?

You've done this a number of times now correct? I'm just worried about all that hop debris going through the pump.

I have over 15 brews on my GF and I have never had an issue with hops(leaf or pellet) blocking the filter or causing a blockage in the pump.Yes if the filter gets coated real good the flow is diminished when it is coated.I have done some really hoppy IPA's with 6 ounces of pellet hops and have never had a problem and I have not removed the check valve.

I have used a hop spider I got from arbourfab with good success and I have also used hop bags though I am currently out of the latter.I plan on picking up a big batch of them from Ebay in the future.

RMCB

I have over 15 brews on my GF and I have never had an issue with hops(leaf or pellet) blocking the filter or causing a blockage in the pump.Yes if the filter gets coated real good the flow is diminished when it is coated.I have done some really hoppy IPA's with 6 ounces of pellet hops and have never had a problem and I have not removed the check valve.

I have used a hop spider I got from arbourfab with good success and I have also used hop bags though I am currently out of the latter.I plan on picking up a big batch of them from Ebay in the future.

RMCB

Do you always use an extra hop filter? I'm assuming yes because IME the check valve should be cleaned after every 2nd batch or so. I just throw them in the boil.

Maybe i should just get used to the slow pump rate to the fermenter and use hop bags for IPA's. I like simple. I believe the GF should work has is. Too stubborn i guess. :D

I read it that he meant no hop basket / muslin bag, not that he removed the GF's filter. If he did that, holy crap, that's a new one! But maybe I'm wrong. I want to know now! :)

RMCB
How much leaf hops? I have same experience as Seabrew with needing to remove check valve if hops directly in boiler without a basket or bag. I was quite surprised after I cleared the leaf hop clog with a spoon that it ran very well afterwards. Sucked her dry with me tilting towards the pump.

Not removing the GF filter just not using the arbor fab hop filter anymore once I was instructed on throttling back the flow by closing the valve off it solved the clogging so far. It's not super fast and the GF filter gets really coated up but I don't have any issues. I just leave it and let go and do something while transferring. In the beginning I wasn't doing it right and had it wide open which clogged it up. Then I got the arbor fab hop filter not knowing otherwise and started using that which stopped the clogging but was still wide open. So for the last two brews each 5oz pellet right at the point when starting sanitizing the chiller I open Just enough so the wort doesn't flow back up and leave it until fully transferred. Hop stands and all. At the end I tilt the wort to get the last little bit. I think I've run. It this way for 2-3 times now.

Last brew was the first time I took the check valve parts out and I ran without just to see. It was too strong on the mash step or at least I need to cut the tubing back since the output is so close to the wall.

I have a 6 or 7 oz IPA on deck so I'll check back in on the weekend.

I have never used leaf hops in it.

because the details clearly say the 20% does not apply to the Grainfather.

I honestly missed that completely in my 3 am binge shopping.

I would not have ordered had I seen the exclusion and would have waited for a sale elsewhere.

Anyhow, mine is one town over and should be here today.

I honestly missed that completely in my 3 am binge shopping.

I would not have ordered had I seen the exclusion and would have waited for a sale elsewhere.

Anyhow, mine is one town over and should be here today.

I never saw any exclusion on the NB homepage so I went right to the grainfather system, added to the cart, entered the code and paid. It wasn't until after on a separate page I saw the exclusion.

If they call asking for more money, I'll just cancel the order. I've been right on the edge and this discount pushed me to purchase it.

I never saw any exclusion on the NB homepage so I went right to the grainfather system, added to the cart, entered the code and paid. It wasn't until after on a separate page I saw the exclusion.

If they call asking for more money, I'll just cancel the order. I've been right on the edge and this discount pushed me to purchase it.

I got it too. Scheduled to be here tomorrow. Haven't heard anything from them yet. Seems like an incredible price.

My grainfather arrived as did my RO system from amazon.....no more lugging water across town from wally world.

Not removing the GF filter just not using the arbor fab hop filter anymore once I was instructed on throttling back the flow by closing the valve off it solved the clogging so far. It's not super fast and the GF filter gets really coated up but I don't have any issues. I just leave it and let go and do something while transferring. In the beginning I wasn't doing it right and had it wide open which clogged it up. Then I got the arbor fab hop filter not knowing otherwise and started using that which stopped the clogging but was still wide open. So for the last two brews each 5oz pellet right at the point when starting sanitizing the chiller I open Just enough so the wort doesn't flow back up and leave it until fully transferred. Hop stands and all. At the end I tilt the wort to get the last little bit. I think I've run. It this way for 2-3 times now.

Last brew was the first time I took the check valve parts out and I ran without just to see. It was too strong on the mash step or at least I need to cut the tubing back since the output is so close to the wall.

I have a 6 or 7 oz IPA on deck so I'll check back in on the weekend.

I have never used leaf hops in it.

By the end of the brew day I'm just wanting to see the CFC perform, so with these cold tap temps (47 on Sunday) I want to go full throttle and be done quick. Kinda makes me feel like top performance. Besides I'm tired and a quick chill is a nice end to the day (well ok, I still need to clean up). I'm plenty impressed with the pump performance after 1.5 oz of leaf hops and one "cleaning swipe" of the filter with my spoon cleared it up and sucked her dry (tilted the GF towards the pump filter). I still however think the use of the hop basket is in my future. Only downside I could see is less utilization (I've heard 10% loss). Just need more GF practice!

^^Really glad i confirmed that!

:)

Hi GFer's, i've been trying - mostly thinking - how to build a hop spider today and i figured why not put the 5 gallon nylon mesh bag over the boiler and just put hops inside that?

Pretty simple..

Hi GFer's, i've been trying - mostly thinking - how to build a hop spider today and i figured why not put the 5 gallon nylon mesh bag over the boiler and just put hops inside that?

Pretty simple..

Hey Brad,

If you mean a paint strainer bag, well, I'm no chemist, but I'd suspect that a paint strainer bag is likely not made of food grade nylon - so while I think its fine for cooler wort, boiling wort...eh...not so sure I'd do that. You probably won't taste it in the beer, but just can't be good. Now bag from the LHBS designed for BIAB, yeah not a bad idea at all, so long as the hops hold it down somewhat into the boil, or even could just cinch it up and drape it in, keeping it off the bottom.

Is there a way to do larger grain bills in it ? Got mine last week with their jacket and hop spider but haven't got a chance to brew yet.

i have no problem, I watched the GRAINFATHER video and turn on the cold water, run the pump till I feel cold coming from the wort hose, almost immediately, stop pump, put the wort out hose into Fermentor and fill it. Seriously ignoring the temp of the wort in the boiler. I always think, omg it's too cold. I run the chiller water out the window, btw, so as not to put it in septic tank.

Did you adjust the red valve during the chilling period? you can raise and lower the temp of the wort coming out of the chiller by opening up or closing off some on the red handle. I've seen several folks get the wort to the temp they want (coming out of the chiller) and then move the hose to fill the fermenter.

This practice will drastically cut down on your chill time since you are not trying to chill the entire 5-6 gallons of wort at one time.[/QUOTE]

Hey Brad,

If you mean a paint strainer bag, well, I'm no chemist, but I'd suspect that a paint strainer bag is likely not made of food grade nylon - so while I think its fine for cooler wort, boiling wort...eh...not so sure I'd do that. You probably won't taste it in the beer, but just can't be good. Now bag from the LHBS designed for BIAB, yeah not a bad idea at all, so long as the hops hold it down somewhat into the boil, or even could just cinch it up and drape it in, keeping it off the bottom.

Actually some of the DIY articles use a paint strainer bag for a hop spider. I'm thinking people use the spider because the propane would/might burn the bag if you left it over the top of the boiler. Or maybe having the bag over the boiler will create a boilover. I'm not sure really.

I'm going to try it anyhow. :) If it doesn't work i will just suspend the bag from one of my drum sticks, laid across the boiler. Which i done before.

Is there a way to do larger grain bills in it ? Got mine last week with their jacket and hop spider but haven't got a chance to brew yet.

I guess beyond the GF recommendations you could try to push it, but limiting factors would be the height of the grain basket while allowing the top recirc plate to rest on top of grains. If point is for higher ABV, you will need to make a lower volume batch, if point is for higher volume, I'd suggest maxing out grain, then potentially after sparge you could add more water to top out boiler- watch for boil overs (use fermcap even) and add in some DME to make up OG. Test it all out and report back to us! :)

i have no problem, I watched the GRAINFATHER video and turn on the cold water, run the pump till I feel cold coming from the wort hose, almost immediately, stop pump, put the wort out hose into Fermentor and fill it. Seriously ignoring the temp of the wort in the boiler. I always think, omg it's too cold. I run the chiller water out the window, btw, so as not to put it in septic tank.

Did you adjust the red valve during the chilling period? you can raise and lower the temp of the wort coming out of the chiller by opening up or closing off some on the red handle. I've seen several folks get the wort to the temp they want (coming out of the chiller) and then move the hose to fill the fermenter.

This practice will drastically cut down on your chill time since you are not trying to chill the entire 5-6 gallons of wort at one time.

Yup, I think we all have same approach. Limit on time is, volume, temp of chilling water (can lower w/pre-chiller approach) and amount of hop debris in boiler. Ok, also temp you wish to cool wort too as well! My intention is to optimize these to chill w/valve wide open.

As for water runoff, I've heard folks putting in washer, I may when basement brew area is complete (possibly this weekend) but will also collect for the garden / landscape.

Its been awhile since I had a septic tank, but you're avoiding for the septic tank? I'd think the water wouldn't harm, just leech out in the field?

It's here !!!!! Get it cleaned today and then tomorrow brewing Yoopers pale ale while watching the 500

Made Yooper pale ale, Something went wrong!! I hit 1.058 on the mark. First ever all grain and I hit it right??? WOO HOO Now to enjoy this 21 amendment live free or die pale ale

Made Yooper pale ale, Something went wrong!! I hit 1.058 on the mark. First ever all grain and I hit it right??? WOO HOO Now to enjoy this 21 amendment live free or die pale ale

Funny. :D Yeah i usually hit my numbers pretty good also with the grainfather. Its a wonderful little unit overall. I love simplicity.

One of my favorite quotes was Einstein's: "If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it enough." :mug:

Had my maiden voyage on the Grainfather today as well. Everything seemed to run smooth. Clean up takes a while, but everything else is a breeze. Also, I hit 1.056 with 9.5# of grain! This is going to be a 6% Blonde. A little strong, but I'm sure it will be good.

Had my maiden voyage on the Grainfather today as well. Everything seemed to run smooth. Clean up takes a while, but everything else is a breeze. Also, I hit 1.056 with 9.5# of grain! This is going to be a 6% Blonde. A little strong, but I'm sure it will be good.
Congrats, yeah it's a bit time consuming cleaning, just clean other items at same time. To limit water usage I use about 2-3G of cold water in final rinse, not full as GF says. And you got it for 700, right?

Congrats! Dialed in I expect this thing to be consistent. Sweet! :)

Congrats, yeah it's a bit time consuming cleaning, just clean other items at same time. To limit water usage I use about 2-3G of cold water in final rinse, not full as GF says. And you got it for 700, right?

Yep. Seems like a steal. I did the same thing on the rinse. Used about 2 gallons and seemed to work fine. Only issue was the pump screen really seemed to clog with only 1.25 oz of hops total. I had read the issues with that but didn't think a blonde would matter. Was planning a pale ale next. May have to try and whirlpool a little.

I also bought mine for that 20% off deal on NB last week and had my first brew Sunday. Was a hoppy brew with 7oz of hops in the kettle. No clogs at all...ran like a champ and I hit target gravity spot on which I never do, so that's a pleasant surprise! No boil problems as I switched it over to "boil" or "normal" while sparging and it was up to 212 by the time I was taking the grain away. Also, the chiller worked great and brought it down quickly. Can't wait to use it again next weekend! I do wish I could see the volume markings while sparging as my HLT was leaking a bit so I needed to check the kettle for volume and to lift away the grain basket in order to see the boil volume was a pain, but that's nitpicking.

Latest posts

Back