Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing one tomorrow with 7oz of hops. I figure I will just throw it in without hops bag and see what happens. Did one the other day with 3.5 without hops bag and worked well so we'll see.
Lesson learned: if you have a very large grain bill don't forget to remove the top drain pipe before dumping grains. Pipe will dump with grains. Didn't realize until next brew day and garbage men had already came.

I'm having a very hard time getting the bottom plate of the basket to go in without the gasket coming off. I have tried spraying with water but not having any luck... Any tips?

I leave it in! Haven't removed it once yet after 4 brews.

Not sure I follow your dilemma...I know they made some changes to the CF chiller since mine but are you saying it is 1/4" instead of 3/8" now? Wow, that's a bit small.... I suspect it is 5/16 if smaller....

you could go from 1/4 or 5/16 to 3/8 coming off chiller with a reducer (reverse thinking) and then continue on as I showed.....

I think he meant his thrumometer is 1/4" not CFC??

I feel a bit stupid, I've only ever used immersion chillers and realized I should be recircing the chilled wort back into the grainfather until the temp drops, otherwise my late hops are going to be wasted by being in contact with hot wort for a long time.

I was able to pump with 4 oz. of hops, it was slow but I kept gently scraping off the filter.

You may be over analyzing? I think all with a CFC, not just GF owners, cool on way to fermenter and not back to kettle. Otherwise you will be cooling a very long time. As for hop profile you'll have to work that out- I'm not that advanced to opine, but some research (and experimenting, so easy on GF!), should help.

And I stay away from that filter! Knocked the little black cap off the first time, now I fear a repeat! More I read here, and with my last experience, I like the hops in a basket or bag. Much better pump performance.

Grainfather has their own Hop Filter product on the NZ site under accessories. Soon to US I guess.

Grainfather has their own Hop Filter product on the NZ site under accessories. Soon to US I guess.

I just feel this should work without using a bag or hop basket. There has to be a DIY filter solution to the slow transfer. As long as I can control my cooling water usage I'm ok. Last brew I used 7 gallons of water to cool 6 gallons down to 64 degrees F. That isn't that bad compared to the water I used to clean a bag or screen. Just think at least 4 gallons are used for post cleaning.

I find SS like that. When its clean it puts off a chemically/metal type smell. Your fine, sanitization is a priority when you start cooling the wort down to pitching temp.

Yeah I figured. I just didn't want to end up with a BKF ale. haha. So far this is so much better than lifting 6.5 gallons of wort to my stovetop.

Never had a BKF ale before, only PBW for me!
Yes it is great not lifting, you will find the basket to be a wee bit heavy depending on your grain bill.
I keep a trash can near when I remove the basket after the sparge completes.

treacheroustexan, this is your very first brew? What took you so long?! What are you cooking?

Noo just my first with the grainfather. I work 2nd shift so during the week it's hard to brew, and last weekend I was very busy. Doing an American Red Ale. Wanted something simple and cheap so I can get familiar with the process.

Noo just my first with the grainfather. I work 2nd shift so during the week it's hard to brew, and last weekend I was very busy. Doing an American Red Ale. Wanted something simple and cheap so I can get familiar with the process.

Yeah thats what i meant. :) Whats an american red ale? just an irish red ale using american hops? Red ale is one of my favs.

Yeah thats what i meant. :) Whats an american red ale? just an irish red ale using american hops? Red ale is one of my favs.

Gotcha! Yeah got a recipe from the recipe section on this forum. 9# 2 row, 2# crystal 40, 2 oz roasted barley and 2 oz willamette hops at 60min. Just using american ale yeast instead of irish. Should be tasty!

I did a pale ale for the first brew on New Years eve.
Then the next day I decided to do another batch and then said WTH might as well brew another. So 2 brews in one day. Kegging them up today.

Make sure to post pics when their ready. :mug:

Mashing in now. I can't keep a steady temperature. It's been up to 154 down to 148. Hmph. I have a blanket wrapped around it.

After you dough in and turn on the pump it drops a nice bit but it gets pretty consistent in about 5 min IME.

Just a reminder make sure the probe is pushed all the way into the thermowell. It can easily slip out when your moving the unit around.

I ran into that last weekend brewing at my brothers house. I set mash +1, it seems to want to hold low a degree. When it fell too far, -3 I flipped switch to normal, then back to mash. It moved around a few times, then settled in fine. Not sure why, other times held fine. Also we had mash hops in (not a fan of this myself), and recirc was slow thru grain bed, maybe why it held temp poorly? Idk. How's the recirc going? Only a little thru overflow pipe? Can you see top plate?

I'm not brewing this weekend, instead working on the unfinished basement, painting walls, sump and waste pipes, floor, and deciding on "ceiling" color- stay black brown dark like wood or go white to keep it lighter? At any rate this part of basement will hold my new brewery area and make a nice laundry room. Can't wait to have a dedicated area for all my brew equipment and might work out a bottling area (or not!). I hate having to move everything upstairs and back down again.

I'd love to move to the basement but my 100+ year old basement is extremely damp all year round.

So I realized I made a small mistake. First time using a CFC, and while I recirculated the wort back through to sanitize the chiller, I also had the cold water on (not realizing how fast it cools it down). Hopefully I don't get an infection.

I'd love to move to the basement but my 100+ year old basement is extremely damp all year round.

My house is also a 100 yr old house but with a good sump it stays nice and dry, so very fortunate for that. I wish the ceiling height was more than 7' (at best!).

So I realized I made a small mistake. First time using a CFC, and while I recirculated the wort back through to sanitize the chiller, I also had the cold water on (not realizing how fast it cools it down). Hopefully I don't get an infection.

Best of luck, maybe the brewing gods will be with you on this one and give you a pass for first use! :mug:

Just stumbled upon this, really hoping to pick one up this year. This would be a nice step up from my biab propane setup.

Trying to convince the wife this would be a good use of our tax return lol!

Just go ahead and get it and don't look back. You won't be sorry, and your wife'll start talking to you again in a couple months anyway. You know women can't help it (talking).

If you need another reason for impulsive behavior, look at it this way: $900 isn't a huge amount of money (comparatively speaking/everything's relative/yada yada), especially if you put it on a 12 or 18 months no interest credit card.

Just saying...

I really want this too but I'm hesitant because it only uses 1600 watts to boil. I know this has been debated over and over and most are satisfied, are many of you using a heat stick with this or is it unessessary? Also I only have 15amp circuits so is that sufficient? What if the GF is the only device using that circuit...will I need a 20 amp installed?

Jamie.

I really want this too but I'm hesitant because it only uses 1600 watts to boil. I know this has been debated over and over and most are satisfied, are many of you using a heat stick with this or is it unessessary? Also I only have 15amp circuits so is that sufficient? What if the GF is the only device using that circuit...will I need a 20 amp installed?

Jamie.

Ignore that. It boils totally fine here is a video of me boiling 6 gallons in an 8 Celcius garage. I do have reflectix which was much cheaper than the grainjacket. Template is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/grainfather/comments/3fkziw/looking_for_an_insulation_jacket_for_your/?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM1OxpRk9UE[/ame]

Jamie.

I had no issue getting mine to a boil. 60 minute mash and 60 minute boil, it only took me maybe not even 5 hours to complete a brew day. Not using reflectix either.

Jamie.

I was VERY hesitant for that very reason (see some of my initial posts in this thread). Now that I have one I'm very glad I made the purchase. Providing the unit holds up, this is one of the best purchases I have made.

I owned a 50L Braumeister and it was a great unit. It was very pricey though and didn't generate as clear of wort as the GF (which to ME is important). As a package including the chiller, the GF is a much greater deal IMO.

I just kegged my second batch that I brewed on the GF, a Bells 2 Hearted clone. After 3 weeks in the fermenter it was crystal clear and the sample was one of the best smelling and tasting of any beer I've ever made. I've been doing all grain for almost 8 years and this was my 151st batch.

I don't think I've heard anyone say that they wish they hadn't bought one after they get it. I think you'd be happy with it.

As far as your breaker question, someone more qualified will hopefully chime in and answer that one for you.

Good luck!

I was VERY hesitant for that very reason (see some of my initial posts in this thread). Now that I have one I'm very glad I made the purchase. Providing the unit holds up, this is one of the best purchases I have made.

I owned a 50L Braumeister and it was a great unit. It was very pricey though and didn't generate as clear of wort as the GF (which to ME is important). As a package including the chiller, the GF is a much greater deal IMO.

I just kegged my second batch that I brewed on the GF, a Bells 2 Hearted clone. After 3 weeks in the fermenter it was crystal clear and the sample was one of the best smelling and tasting of any beer I've ever made. I've been doing all grain for almost 8 years and this was my 151st batch.

I don't think I've heard anyone say that they wish they hadn't bought one after they get it. I think you'd be happy with it.

As far as your breaker question, someone more qualified will hopefully chime in and answer that one for you.

Good luck!

I would also say this is easily the best piece of brewing equipment I have purchased in the past 10 years.

The only things I don't like, which are more annoyances are the lid which is designed to burn you, and the hop filter which works.. but isn't perfect.

I have no problem suggesting that you should def. get one. From what I can see, the customer service when you do need it.. is amazing.

Mine boils with no problem and i don't have any reflectix either. All you need is a 15a breaker.

I said this before but the GF is 2nd only to my eye surgery for the best money i EVER spent. I'm spending around 6 bucks in ingredients to make 1 case - so it will pay for itself fairly quickly.

Has you know beer is expensive in Newfoundland!

Just stumbled upon this, really hoping to pick one up this year. This would be a nice step up from my biab propane setup.

Trying to convince the wife this would be a good use of our tax return lol!

Just Do It!! :)

Jamie.
I agree with all the comments above, boil is fine and I too was concerned pre-purchase. As for circuit if you aren't comfortable in changing out a 15a breaker with a 20a (cheap swap) get an electrician! 1600 watts at 110v is pushing the limit on a 15a circuit.

...Providing the unit holds up, this is one of the best purchases I have made.

I owned a 50L Braumeister and it was a great unit....!
Yambor what happened with the Brau? Old age?

The only things I don't like, which are more annoyances are the lid which is designed to burn....
Don't you know it!!! :) always remember a towel or glove when grabbing the lid- hot stuff!

...All you need is a 15a...!
I still think that's pushing your limits but shows it can work on 15a too. I guess since I had 20a I didn't have to think about this issue. My brother, who has YET, to buy one, just swapped out a 15a for a 20a on his deck for when he brews there!! He has 20a in kitchen and we brewed there last weekend with a fine boil.

I pulled the trigger on one of these (745 new, great deal) and it'll be here Thursday!

Been brewing for 27 years on all kinds of systems but I've been gradually simplifying everything, this seems like it could be the last step in that process. I currently do a 5500 watt EBIAB with no chill, so this will actually increase my brewday, but I'm hoping it won't feel like it because there's less baby sitting.

Back