Grain extract potential help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snood

Reaction score
Hey Folks.

I'm planning a new recipe and had to contact a maltster to get some data which they haven't published about one of their malts. They have provided me with the following information.

What i'm struggling to figure out is the extract potential of the grain. I guess i want to be working with the extract (dry basis) figure but it's given as a percentage. Does anyone know how I can convert this into either SG, PPG, or LDK?

Apologies for the formatting of the data.

Paul

Code:
Parameter                               MIN                   MAX               Unit
Moisture content                                                5.0                %
Extract (dry basis)                    77.0                                          %
Wort colour                                  4.0                       8.0               EBC
Wort colour                                  2.1                       3.6               Lovibond
Protein (dry substance)          10.0                      13.0               %
Protein solution                        38.0                     45.0                %
Hartong Index (45°C)               36.0                     43.0                %
Friability                                   75.0                                           %
Phenols                                                              4.0                 mg / l

Good question.

This link explains it but for quick reference:

46.31 * %Extract = Points per Pound per Gallon

This equates to 35.6587 PPG.

Not quite.

The data sheet gives the extract as dry basis, but also states it has up to 5% moisture.
To account of the moisture, you need to multiply the result by 0.95, so you would get 46.31 * 0.77 * 0.95 = 33.9

-a.

Back