Enter Grain into Beersmith calculating values from COA sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronyasgur

Reaction score
Is it possible to calculate the fields for beersmith from the data I have on the COA sheet for the grain
The fields I'm looking to fill in are : potential, yield, coarse fine difference, diadastic power and protein ( though I don't know if of some of those values might not be so important )

Test Units Result Specification
EBC Extract 0.2mm dry basis % 84.6 82 minimum
Moisture % 4.2 4.0 maximum
EBC Colour deg EBC 3.1 2.8 - 3.8
Total Protein dry basis % 9.5 8.8 - 10.5
EBC Total Soluble Nitrogen dry basis % 0.66 0.6 - 0.7
EBC Kolbach Index % 43 38 - 44
DP Windisch Kolbach dry basis WK Units 289 270 minimum
EBC B-Glucan in Wort mg/L 112 140 maximum
EBC Wort pH units 5.98
EBC Wort Viscosity cP 1.51 1.55 maximum
Alpha Amylase dry basis DU 45.4 35 minimum
Homogeneity % 99.1 98 minimum
Friability % 93.1 85 - 95
FAN (EBC) @ 12% Plato mg/L 224 195 minimum
Screenings Through 2.2mm % 0.23 1.0 maximum

The important specs are the extract, dry basis (yield) of 84.6% and the color at 3.1 EBC. You can also enter in the total protein of 9.5%. BeerSmith does not at this point use diastatic power or the coarse/fine difference.

When you fill out the yield, BeerSmith will automatically calculate the potential from that number.

The important specs are the extract, dry basis (yield) of 84.6% and the color at 3.1 EBC. You can also enter in the total protein of 9.5%. BeerSmith does not at this point use diastatic power or the coarse/fine difference.

When you fill out the yield, BeerSmith will automatically calculate the potential from that number.

cool - thanks for that - so I can just put in EBC, Yield and protein I'm good ? Is there any point putting in the moisture - I mean I have it there

Back