Got a pound of fresh Cascade, what should I do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never used wet hops before. I don't have anything fermenting now so it isn't like I can just drop them in as dry hops, I am starting from scratch.

Will they still be worth using by the time a beer is under way?

I hope to brew in 24 hours, but of course a dry hop step would be days after that. Or, I could use Voss kveik for a fast ferment and add the hops very early.

Put the hops in the freezer until you're ready.
Use them in a 150-170°F whirlpool for 15-25 minutes.

A blonde or APA would let them shine. Personally, I wouldn't add any other aroma hops.

I agree that drying is best for long term, but if you're going to use them in the next few weeks/months, I haven't had any trouble freezing. I have 6 plants and have been growing and using them for 5+ years.

I agree that drying is best for long term, but if you're going to use them in the next few weeks/months, I haven't had any trouble freezing. I have 6 plants and have been growing and using them for 5+ years.

I've never tried it and was just going by what I've read. If you've tried it and it has worked, you've got the better answer.

Back