Going to a 1 Gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlhutson

Reaction score
I have a new recipe that I want to try out. It is a 5 gallon recipe and I want to make a 1 gallon batch first to make sure I like it. How do I convert the recipe? Is it as sample as doing 1/5 of everything?

Yes. But here's what I learned that may help.

A good scale helps with hops, because depending on the style the measurements might get a little small. If that's a problem for bittering additions; substitute a lower alpha acid hop for any 60+ minute additions of Nugget, Magnum or similar high alpha hops. Otherwise 1 or 2 pellets may be too significant of a difference.

Another caution is with boiling. It's easy to get a more vigorous boil and thus greater evaporation with 1 gallon than 5. Adding to that, many stove top saucepans diameter to height ratio is worse than a brew pot. So monitor your volume throughout, possibly metering back the heat or diluting as needed to hit the target OG.

I usually transfer all the wort to the fermenter rather than lose a decent amount to trub. It's really easy to crash cool in the end by putting the jug in a fridge and get a dense cake when finished fermenting. Then I normally bottle straight from the jug with a mini auto siphon held just off the cake.

Your thinking is correct. As Quaker stated, you will need a good scale. I find it easier to change the hops to grams for 1 gallon recipes.

Spot on...I have a nice skinny and tall pot that allows for a low boil off and use grams for hops. Just remember, you need to be far more precise with hops and grains as a little deviation will impact your recipe a lot more

Back