Giving up on these super-exclusive hard to get beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stokes_

Reaction score
I'm done. Tired of going to great lengths of tracking down these outstanding beers that breweries purposely make hard to get. Been trying for years to get some Pliny/Heady/King Henry but when I do find someone willing to trade they want way too much. Great Divide is back in VA now, and that's fantastic, good enough for me I suppose. Kind of a bummer I never got to try some of Lawsons or Hill Farmstead brews.

/Crying

I'm with you. Too much of a hassle, and I'm fortunate to have a lot of excellent breweries nearby (New Glarus, Bell's, Founders, Ale Asylum, Lakefront) who make really good beers, not to mention some top-notch, fully stocked bottle shops. I'm not interested in jumping through tons of hoops or waiting in any lines to get the new "it" beer.

I've had luck of recent in trading. The trick is to get a good trading partner in the distro area of something you want and over deliver to them on the first few trades. It'll pay you back easily the more trades you do.

To get something great, you have to have something great to trade. Is there any really good brewery relatively close to you that has a limited distro area? I have been lucky to get some amazing beers on trade because I have a few amazing/hyped breweries with limited to no distro nearby. The vast majority of my trades have been through "relationships" built in forums here, I usually end up with a really great beer that I never asked for specifically.

King henry, I can understand being difficult. But heady and pliny should be simple. Most guys just want something local thats awesome in exchange for that stuff.

I have chilled out on the hard to find expensive stuff. I am finding that it never lives up to the hype. Sure the hyped beers are truly phenomenal. But the lengths I went to get them were not worth it. Id rather pay half that amount and just buy something local.

Wish I had some though, I'd send you a bottle and a can for free!

just enjoy the beers you have around you. no beer is going to be a life changing experience, it's just a beer. and remember, when these guys buy pliny/zombie/heady/whatever locally, they only pay like $10 for a bomber. so no, it's not worth giving up a ton for.

just enjoy the beers you have around you. no beer is going to be a life changing experience, it's just a beer. and remember, when these guys buy pliny/zombie/heady/whatever locally, they only pay like $10 for a bomber. so no, it's not worth giving up a ton for.

Not even...$7 for pliny. $13 for four heady. $10 for a sixer of zombie.

I agree though, They should be traded for $4$. Nothing more.

I agree on $4$ on these trades. I don't get too caught up to hit exact, but none are worth going crazy for. I've found that trade value, 2 Pliny = 4 Heady = 6 Zombie.

I've made similar comments. I'm happy to get the stuff that takes a reasonable effort to acquire, and am happy to trade as well. I've been fortunate enough to have had Heady Topper and Westvleteren 12 delivered to me in the last month with virtually no effort. I also picked up some other stuff when it's come to me. I just keep my ears open and never get too fixated on any one beer. Even though I have some great stuff to trade, it's just not worth the effort to me.

If you can't drink the one you want, want the one you drink.

Back