Ginger cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonon2

Reaction score
I'm having fun doing 1 gallon batches of cider and drinking it pretty young and sweet. If I want to make a ginger cider, do I add the ginger to the primary or the secondary? And I guess that means I need to strain either one right? And most info here seems to indicated that grated ginger gets you the biggest ginger bang. How much for 1 gallon? Searches don't give me much specifically for this situation, but I'm happy to look at threads if you've got pointers.

For what its worth, I made a ginger cider and found the flavor combination unpalatable. This was in a semi-dry (still somewhat sweet) cider. I suspect, for my taste buds, the flavors might meld more pleasingly in a dry cider.

I grated the ginger, then boiled and made a tea of it, which I added to the primary.

Did you boil just for sanitation? I'm wondering if boiling is pretty harsh on the ginger and if maybe there would be a way to use it without boiling.

Tkrafty, I boil mine all the time, works a treat to extract flavour. Even made a ginger beer using just sugar, ginger and a few other bits and bobs.

Latest posts

Back