g/L ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebbb

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's your usual hopping gram per Litre ratio when you brew Ipas, both for the flame-out and dry-hopping? Also, what about regarding your west-coast versions vs east-coast?

Also, does anyone just hop the wort by adding silly amount just at the flame-out or just at a few minutes before the end of the boil?

Lastly, when the ratio is found written on beer cans/bottles label, does it refer to the overall amount of hops used to make the beer or just for the dry-hopping or what? eg. Cloudwater dipa with 27g/L

You are thinking the right way re the g/L ratio being material at flameout and dry hop.

I remember reading a post sometime saying if you want a hoppy beer, between 7-15g/L in whirlpool and 7-20g/L at dry hop. Once I figured out what that converted to for a 21L batch I thought it was madness. Then I asked a brewer on a brewery tour how much was in a hoppy beer they had, he told me how much went in and it calculated out to 22g/L on the dry hop.

So, I upped my amounts significantly - 200g+ in whirlpool and 250g+ in dry hop (some in fermenter, some in keg) and my tropical IPA is outstanding.

So long as your process is good enough that you won’t ruin the batch on a rookie mistake, it’s worth investing the extra money in hops to see what you think. It was a game changer for me.

After 8 g/L dry hopping you start seeing rapidly diminishing returns. More hop cost, more volume loss to absorption, without a significant increase in character.

I tend to target 8-10 g/L overall. Say 3 g/L whirlpool, 3 g/L first dry hop, 3 g/L 2nd dry hop.

I would invest much more into the whirlpool, (at less than 160 degrees), like 12 g/L. But I do agree with @Qhrumphf in regards to 3 g/L per dry hopping charge.

It's a matter of taste I guess. I couldn't get something with the hop profile of a commercial hop bomb (which I what I want, why brew and still buy ..) without ramping it up big time. So, if the OP isn't content with what he/she has going on now, go big! At least for one batch. Sure, the returns diminish but it's still going to be hoppier.

Matter of taste, money, (old) habits, etc. There are enough IPA drinkers that can be satisfied with less than 20 g/L and some which want more than 20 g/L, but that's a taste and most times, a financial thing. You can definitely taste the difference between IPAs hopped with different amounts of hops.

Cloudwater refers to the overall qty of hops used. 27 g/L is on the high end. Personally, I use anything from 18 to 25 g/L for those IPAs where I really want a lot of hop presence. Pale Ales get less than that. I like hops, so the amounts could seem high, but they really aren't. Hops are more expensive in Europe, but that does not stop me from using the amounts I want.

It is funny how everyone has a completely different opinion on the matter!

It depends a lot on everyones process. A low oxygen process will usually need less hops than one which induces oxygen. And also everyones taste. I'd say you just have to figure it out yourself to find your golden ratio, as there are several of them.

It depends a lot on everyones process. A low oxygen process will usually need less hops than one which induces oxygen. And also everyones taste. I'd say you just have to figure it out yourself to find your golden ratio, as there are several of them.
That's a very important point.

Back