FSW Double DBA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyemt

Reaction score
Any feedback welcome, I'll be brewing this on Saturday...I know they use 002, however to reach state FG, I'll use 007. I've basically doubled DBA and adjusted to my system and the label stats. I'll oak during fermentation as FSW does, then transfer to oak cubes I've toasted and soaked in bourbon.This will be aged for at least a few months. I've seen a few other attempts, but they don't seem as close...

Recipe: Firestone Walker DDBA?
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Wood Aged Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.74 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.110 SG
Estimated Color: 26.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs 7.0 oz Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 63.4 %
3 lbs 14.4 oz Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 2 16.0 %
1 lbs 10.7 oz Munich Light 10L (Gambrinus) (11.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.9 %
1 lbs 7.0 oz Crystal Dark - 77L (Crisp) (75.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
7.7 oz Crystal Extra Dark - 120L (Crisp) (120.0 Grain 5 2.0 %
3.5 oz Chocolate (Crisp) (630.0 SRM) Grain 6 0.9 %
1 lbs 3.2 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 7 4.9 %
0.40 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 8 19.1 IBUs
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 9 10.9 IBUs
1.56 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Steep/Whi Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.56 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0 Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 12 -
1.40 oz Oak Chips (Primary 14.0 days) Flavor 13 -
2.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 14 -
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 7 Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 24 lbs 5.6 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In 152.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.28 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
Our flagship beer brewed to double strength. Immense toffee, vanilla, coconut and caramel malt married with American oak aromas emerge. The first sip develops with sugary caramel, molasses and vanilla, finishing with English toffee and toasted coconut. A beer to be reckoned with and perfect for sharing.

DBA doubled, as per FSW website? then stats adjusted to meet bottle specifics.

Bottle specifics
OG 26p
FG 4.7p
29 ibu's
27 Srm
Brtish ale yeast
New american oak and bourbon barrels
described as "concentrated first runnings"

Water for a Malty brown, Fermented with 1.4 of oak, then add bourbon soaked oak cubes for aging.

:mug:

DDBA-22oz-Label.png

2 suggestions... the first is to mash lower and longer. I've read FSW uses lower mash temps in the mid 140's for an extended time. This is how they get lower final gravities when using less attenuating English yeast.

EDIT: Then a short rest in the mid/upper 150's.

And second be careful with the oak. I'd honestly just skip the initial oak while in primary and only add during secondary. Oak chips impart flavor very quickly and not much is needed. I'm worried that the primary addition may add more than needed and you don't want to pull the beer off the yeast too early if the oak level gets too high. Let it ferment out, then rack to secondary with the soaked oak chips. Then give it a taste every day or two at most. Be ready to keg/bottle after only a few days. I've used oak chips a few times now and have learned you really don't need much or much time.

PS: Love FSW and pretty much everything they make. I just kicked a keg of a Wooky Jack clone a few weeks ago. Was very sad to replace that keg. Good luck with the beer. Let us know how it turns out!

That's right, I do remember reading about their step mashing, I'll change to a single infusion around 148-150. That should help target their profile.

I plan on using cubes, I did it with a DBA clone and it came out nice. I know the recipe states chips, I've forgotten to change it in beersmith. Do appreciate the heads up though!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cubes should work better. I've never used anything but chips, but have been told and read cubes are a slower process and a spiral is even slower.

Update: This was moved and kegged, been on gas for ~ 1 week.

Brewed on 6/28/14
7/13/2014. Moved to secondary on a 1.5oz of oak soaked in bourbon. with 2.5 oz of bourbon added
9/21/2014. Added 1.2 of bourbon soaked oak cubes.
10/1/2014. Kegged

Aroma of toffee, caramelized sugar, vanilla, oak and bourbon, Melds really well. Taste is very much matching Firestone Walkers description of Double DBA. Toffee , caramel, burnt sugar, coconut, and oak and bourbon on the end.

I added 4 lbs of DME due to lower efficiency than expected

OG 1.112
FG 1.020

12.3% abv not including bourbon's contribution

MMMMM I want to brew this. Just tapped a keg of FW Double Jack clone, turned our great. Question, Did you dry hop in secondary? When did you add the DME? Thanks

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412812697.241494.jpg

Better pic...

I ended up skipping the Dryhop, I forgot... And it tasted great without it. Maybe in my next batch? The DME was at the end of the boil.

Compared to a 2013 bottle this had fresher toffee and oak notes, I have 1 more 2014 bottle to compare to... I'll compare them in a tasting...

This will easily be brewed again

Sleepyemt

If you still have (and would recommend) your recipe for the DBA, do you mind sharing. I've found a few but they all say it was just ok.
Thanks

Yeah, I'm out and about, I'll get it to you later... It's the can you brew it recipe, scaled to my equipment

Sleepyemt

If you still have (and would recommend) your recipe for the DBA, do you mind sharing. I've found a few but they all say it was just ok.
Thanks

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-firestone-walker-double-barrel-ale-189853/

This was the recipe I used when I did DBA, For the DDBA I basically doubled it. I played the the OG to match the last batch.... everything was scaled to my equipment....

As a side note, I had it next to a bottle of the real thing, Super close! I'll dryhop next time, and use some cheaper bourbon, mine was very smooth!

Thanks a lot. I will be brewing this in a few weeks.

Back