Fruit vs. Fruit Puree'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
I have made a few batches of mead in the past because as a new beer homebrewer I figured hell it's the same equipment, why not?
However I am now wanting to take my mead making seriously.

In my ealier batches I used fresh fruit to accent my product. (With decent results)
I have (4) 1 gallon batches fermenting right now [2nd week] and was wondering if I could add fruit puree' to the primary now or wait until moved into the secondary and get better results?

PS. the only reason I am thinking puree this time as opposed to my usual fresh fruit is because I keep getting this puree ad in my Facebook feed.

Advice please...

I took fresh fruit (froze it first to break the cell walls)and pureed it in the blender, prior to adding it into the primary fermenter, just to make it easier/quicker for the yeast to get at all of it.

Yes,

I added it to the carboy as I was making the mead, fruit in the blender, pour into carboy, add honey, water, yeast & nutrients, stopper & airlock.
Then wait.
All in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

BTW- it is blueberry mead/melomel.

If you have room in the carboy/jug, go ahead and add it.
General rule of thumb, is two pounds of fruit per gallon.

2lbs per gallon... that’s a start if you just want to add some accent to the mead. Then again I tend to go with fruit bombs even with meads. 3-6lbs in a gallon is the general guideline I’d go with, I always go heavy though.

Back