Frozen yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaps10

Reaction score
So, what would happen if say, I asked SWMBO to "put those ingredients on the counter in the freezer, please" I of course
Meant the hops I had left over. Two days later and I realize she also put in the jar of yeast that I had saved. Will this yeast be ok to reuse? I wanted to get something on in the next few days, but have no new yeast, and no lhbs.

if it was frozen solid i'd forget about that yeast. if you have the time and inclination you could try to make a starter and see what happens, maybe some hardy cells survived and you could answer this question for others.

The water will have frozen into crystals which permeabilize the cell wall of the yeast. Per previous suggestion, you can thaw (slowly at room temp) and create a starter. But if only 1-2% of the cells remain viable, it may take some time for that to grow out again, so be patient and wait on planning out that brew day.

I thawed it very slowly (moved it to the fridge). I'll just mail order a packet of yeast and start off fresh.

Freezing is damaging to the cell walls (as ProzHack stated). I wouldn't even risk it, just get a new vile or smack pack, and make a starter. It wouldn't be worth it to me to worry about it or deal with having to step up a starter. You don't know how viable it is now, nor will you know how many viable yeast cells you have after you make the starter from the frozen supply.

You could make a starter and see if it's still viable... if not... you have some yeast nutrients ;)

Latest posts

Back