Frozen Blueberry Dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlowWorm821

Reaction score
Bought frozen blueberries to make my first Blueberry Wine. Noticed some (for lack of a better term) "Juice" in the bag. The kind of things that happens when you add sugar to a fruit salad or something. The ingredients list says it's just blueberries. I'm wondering if this is just a product of the freezing/thawing process or if I've been had and need to adjust my sugar addition. I'm concerned. As a born and raised Maine-ah blueberries and recipes involving blueberries are a point of pride. Advice??

Thanks in advance.

-Ben

Likely water from the thaw or the blueberry juice itself from a few squished berries, I added 2 lbs blueberries to my irish red ale last night and realized blueberry juice isnt really blue, or red, more like slightly amber water color.

Normel blueberry juice. Happens a lot with ripe juicy wild blueberries. Not so common with cultivated highbush blueberries, that are often pick still sour/unripe.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Happens with virtually every bag of frozen berries. The freezing/thawing process breaks down some of the cell walls in the fruit & the result is that some juice leaks out of those berries. No worries, I always pour that juice into the fermentor, no problems as long as you hit it with campden tabs.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back