From Dextrose (1Kg) to LME or DME? And other "lager" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastroBirraio

Reaction score
Hi,

i have a question regarding the right proportion to substitute the Dextrose Sugar with DME or LME.

Some people tell me that:

1 Kg of sugar/dextrose = 1,2 Kg of DME and = 1,6 Kg of LME

This is the right proportion or not?

If i want to realize a Lager beer kit with 1,5 Kg of Premium Muntons Lager + 1,6 Kg of Extra Light Muntons Extract + Mangrove Jack M54 California Lager... it's a good idea or there are better solution?

Sadly i can't ferment at lager temperature and i need to use M54 yeast or the Safale US05 yeast (what do you suggest to obtain a beer more similar to lager?) - i light sweet beer and a lot of ale beer are too much bitter.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

i have a question regarding the right proportion to substitute the Dextrose Sugar with DME or LME.

Some people tell me that:

1 Kg of sugar/dextrose = 1,2 Kg of DME and = 1,6 Kg of LME

This is the right proportion or not?

If i want to realize a Lager beer kit with 1,5 Kg of Premium Muntons Lager + 1,6 Kg of Extra Light Muntons Extract + Mangrove Jack M54 California Lager... it's a good idea or there are better solution?

Sadly i can't ferment at lager temperature and i need to use M54 yeast or the Safale US05 yeast (what do you suggest to obtain a beer more similar to lager?) - i light sweet beer and a lot of ale beer are too much bitter.

Thanks a lot
M54 won't just be similar to a lager, it will be a lager. This yeast is designed to brew lagers at room temperature, I often used it and it really gets the job done. It is my favourite lager yeast.

The conversion factor seems about right.

1 Kg of sugar/dextrose = 1,35 Kg of DME and = 1,6 Kg of LME
Am I missing something?
Sugar (either Dextrose or Sucrose) has an extract potential of 1.046, Light DME 1.044 - 1.045. Shouldn't they be interchangeable pretty much 1:1 (give or take 2-4%)?

Am I missing something?
Sugar (either Dextrose or Sucrose) has an extract potential of 1.046, Light DME 1.044 - 1.045. Shouldn't they be interchangeable pretty much 1:1 (give or take 2-4%)?

Yes, BUT, if the purpose of the sugar originally was to add a percent of alcohol to the finished beer, well, extract is only about 75% fermentable at best, so you need to divide by 0.75 (or pick a number). That's where I think we were going with it.

Yes, BUT, if the purpose of the sugar originally was to add a percent of alcohol to the finished beer, well, extract is only about 75% fermentable at best, so you need to divide by 0.75 (or pick a number). That's where I think we were going with it.
Yes, of course, I had missed that detail.

I just did a two gallon brown ale with nottingham that went from 1.050 to 1.007: 86%.

Back