Attenuation results from dextrose vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubiwan

Reaction score
In a simple extract kit, if I use 1.8KG of wort, and add 1 KG of dextrose I might get an OG of 1.048, depending on the amount of water I add. I can make the OG higher by adding less water, or more sugar. But lets go with our 1.048. as the kit might suggest.

As it ferments, I might get that down to and FG of 1.010 with the generic yeast that comes with my kit. So my ABV is around 4.9%. My apparent attenuation would have been 79% That correct?

Now, using the same kit, yeast and water volumes, if I use DME instead of dextrose, my FG might only be 1.016, yielding and ABV of 4.1% and an apparent attenuation of 67%.

My questions is, should I get the same ABV yield with DME as with dextrose? Or should I expect lower attenuation from DME?

Should I therefore have added more DME in the above example?

Destrose is a very simple sugar and the yeast can digest all of it. DME will have a fraction that is not a simple sugar and different strains of yeast will digest more or less of it but not all of it so your final gravity will be higher and alcohol lower because of that. The undigested sugars give the body and residual sweetness to beer.

Destrose is a very simple sugar and the yeast can digest all of it. DME will have a fraction that is not a simple sugar and different strains of yeast will digest more or less of it but not all of it so your final gravity will be higher and alcohol lower because of that. The undigested sugars give the body and residual sweetness to beer.
Thanks RM. Would there be any concern over priming sugars and/or bottle bombs if there are un-fermented DME sugars?

You understand what I am getting at?

Thanks RM. Would there be any concern over priming sugars and/or bottle bombs if there are un-fermented DME sugars?

You understand what I am getting at?
Those sugars are unfermentable not unfermented because the yeast is unable to consumer those complex sugars and convert them to alcohol. Unfermented would be that they are still fermentable but the yeast did not convert them, which is not the case for you. You will be fine at bottling time

Latest posts

Back