Fresh Hop Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Found a local farmer that grows Hops and I want to try them out in a upcoming Fall Brew day..

I have no idea how much to use in a brew ?? Was Planning a 2 G Cascade SMaSH brew and want to use some of his Fresh Cascade Hops...

Can I use a combination Cascade Pellet and Fresh ??

definitely dont use fresh hops for a bittering addition. I wouldnt even use them for flavor. Hopstand and dry hop additions are where they shine. Anything else is a waste of that pungent resiny wet hop character IMO

Are they still wet? Has the farmer had the AA content tested?

If they have been dried and you know the AA content you can use them in any way. If not I would second what m00ps said.

So use the Fresh Hop addition in Hopstand (@ Flame out) and or Dry Hopping (In Primary or Secondary Ferm) Is this correct ?

Just trying to understand the Brew talk lingo ! :)

So use the Fresh Hop addition in Hopstand (@ Flame out) and or Dry Hopping (In Primary or Secondary Ferm) Is this correct ?

Just trying to understand the Brew talk lingo ! :)

You can use them in other additions, as long as you either know the bitterness (AAUs) or can guestimate them.

I just made a beer with a combination of homegrown fresh (wet) and dried homegrown hops. I bittered with some commercial pellets to make sure I had that right, but used my own hops for 15/5/0/dryhop additions.

In general, the 'rule' is to use 6 times as many wet hops as you would dried.

Bought 2lbs Fresh or Wet and 1lb Dry Cascade and he had a few Oz left of a Old Canadain Strain called "Bertwell"

Back